DriverSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."
Where and when GT5 applies distance and wear and how it may affect you I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 pm by Forgetful

» DriverSports as a Race Team
Where and when GT5 applies distance and wear and how it may affect you I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 2:56 pm by Rooster722

» DriverSports Rule Book - GT6
Where and when GT5 applies distance and wear and how it may affect you I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 12:38 am by Forgetful

» The DriverSports Championship Series
Where and when GT5 applies distance and wear and how it may affect you I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 pm by Forgetful

» The DriverSports World Series
Where and when GT5 applies distance and wear and how it may affect you I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 3:21 pm by Forgetful

» Welcome to DriveSports.org
Where and when GT5 applies distance and wear and how it may affect you I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 2:37 pm by Forgetful

» The Global Production Car Challenge
Where and when GT5 applies distance and wear and how it may affect you I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 8:22 pm by Forgetful

» Moved to Alberta, took a new job
Where and when GT5 applies distance and wear and how it may affect you I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 8:52 am by Forgetful

» Sportscars 2014 general
Where and when GT5 applies distance and wear and how it may affect you I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 8:38 pm by group44

Where and when GT5 applies distance and wear and how it may affect you

4 posters

Go down

Where and when GT5 applies distance and wear and how it may affect you Empty Where and when GT5 applies distance and wear and how it may affect you

Post  clacksman Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:39 pm

Posted this on the PS forum, but I know not all of you go there so:

Cars driven in GT Mode within GT5 selectively and separately accrue distance and wear, and there's a window of life the car must be in to have prime engine performance which is not reliably indicated by the odometer. This can be an annoyance if you are racing in an event with tight regulations (for examples, either with the Tuning Prohibited button engaged online, or a car with no possible modifications such as a NASCAR). I will explain where GT does and does not do these actions to your car and how to test it for yourself.

First, a couple oddities about how GT5 deals with distance and speed that may or not be related, and some additional background info.
1) The game measures your speed on the longitudinal axis of the car and not based on wheel speed. You can test this by either:
a) Sliding a car fully sideways, it will read zero on the speedometer when 90 degrees to the direction of travel regardless of wheel speed (you can stop rear drive wheels with the handbrake).
b) Turning off ABS brakes and applying the brakes from high speed, the speedometer will not read zero until you are stopped or are 90 degrees from direction of travel.
This suggests that distance applied may also be tracked based on travel along the longitudinal axis instead of distance covered by a certain point in the car which may make it less accurate.
2) The game converts miles to kilometers using 1.6km : 1 mile, a first-grade simplification. You can test this by noting the distance on a car and switching units in GT options and comparing that result to a better conversion factor like 1.6093 km : 1 mile or .6214 mile : 1 km.
I don't know if either of those units is the original or converted number or of there's another number that both miles and kilometers have to be converted to from whatever the base number within GT is for the purpose of showing us, whatever the case GT5 is almost .6% off on this conversion.
3) GT5 always tracks how far you drive in any mode. This happens apparently accurately, counting how far the car moves including if you drive the incorrect direction, and not just giving you an estimate (such as the track distance multiplied by laps done). You can test this in any car with a working dashboard odometer (such as the Mazda RX-7 GT-X (FC) 1990). Drive using interior view and watch it count up.
4) I use the term "prime performance window" to describe just that - between 200 and 6000 miles the car will make its best power if it has fresh oil. The short-form term is "broken-in". Outside this window it will make less than optimum power even with fresh oil, either being not broken-in (under 200 miles) or just being old (over 6000 miles).

Distance showing on the odometer does not always indicate the state of your car relative to the prime performance window because wear and distance are applied separately. Most places in the game reliably work 'normally' (1 and 2 below); you get distance and wear as you drive as commonly expected. Some places in the game work 'abnormally'; driving in those places (3) and one procedure (4) cause odometer distance to not indicate whether your car is within the prime performance window.
1) A-spec, B-spec, Seasonal Event Challenges/Races/Events, and Practice are all 'normal'. You can test this by oil changing and/or chassis refreshing any car and then entering any event in these modes. Entering the track is enough to cause enough wear to allow maintenance (you can even exit before having control of the car), afterwards you can oil change and/or chassis refresh the car (indicating wear was applied). Wear is applied even with the car not traveling far enough to have the next 0.1 showing on the odometer.
2) Online events (both Open Lobby and Community Lounge) are 'normal' with a specific restriction and occasional glitches.
a) Free Run does not apply distance or wear because cars are checked against regulation settings when they attempt to enter the track and allowing break-in during Free Run would therefore make it possible for a car to be over a horsepower or pp regulation setting. You can test this by oil changing and/or chassis refreshing any car and then entering a lobby or lounge. Any amount of Free Run driving will not lead to an oil change/chassis refresh being allowed afterwards nor a change to your odometer.
b) Races run online apply distance and wear at the conclusion of the race* because cars are checked against regulation settings when they attempt to enter the track and allowing break-in during the race would therefore make it possible for a car to be over a horsepower or pp regulation setting. You can test this by oil changing and/or chassis refreshing any car and then entering a lobby or lounge for an online race. Exiting the race before its conclusion (when the winner crosses the finish line) avoids the application of wear and distance and an oil change/chassis refresh will not be allowed afterwards and your odometer will be unchanged.
*This is the glitch, occasionally it will not apply the distance and wear expected from the online race after a normal-appearing race finish.
3) Seasonal Event Time Trial and Drift Trials, and Speed Test (both Acceleration and Top Speed) are not 'normal'. Distance is applied to the odometer but wear is not applied to the car causing the odometer to not show whether your car is within the prime performance window. You can test this by oil changing and/or chassis refreshing any car and then entering any event in these modes. Any number of attempts or runs will add the expected distance but you will not be allowed to oil change/chassis refresh the car afterwards (indicating wear was not applied).
4) The Race Modification process possible on some Premium cars returns the engine to new state (same as a new 0 km or 0 mile engine) but does not reset the odometer. This causes odometer distance to not indicate whether the car is within the prime performance window. You can test this by performing the Race Modification process to any of the possible cars with significant distance already on it, and watching the power increase (break-in) with distance-indiced wear again.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Where and when GT5 applies distance and wear and how it may affect you Empty Re: Where and when GT5 applies distance and wear and how it may affect you

Post  Forgetful Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:40 pm

Stickied
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Where and when GT5 applies distance and wear and how it may affect you Empty Re: Where and when GT5 applies distance and wear and how it may affect you

Post  AgentWD40_FL Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:26 pm

thats some crazy outstanding info. how do you find the time to figure out stuff like this. hats off to you my man. Smile
AgentWD40_FL
AgentWD40_FL

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:39 pm

AgentWD40_FL wrote:thats some crazy outstanding info. how do you find the time to figure out stuff like this. hats off to you my man. Smile

Much of it is old and common knowledge to us nerds, but the seasonal & speed test split came with the speed test course pack release a couple months ago. Typing it out took longer than figuring it out.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:43 pm

I'll let you all figure out who is who...
HWKII
HWKII

http://www.driversports.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum