I forgot my password

November 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."
Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 pm by Forgetful

» DriverSports as a Race Team
Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:56 pm by Rooster722

» DriverSports Rule Book - GT6
Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:38 am by Forgetful

» The DriverSports Championship Series
Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 pm by Forgetful

» The DriverSports World Series
Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:21 pm by Forgetful

» Welcome to DriveSports.org
Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:37 pm by Forgetful

» The Global Production Car Challenge
Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:22 pm by Forgetful

» Moved to Alberta, took a new job
Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:52 am by Forgetful

» Sportscars 2014 general
Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:38 pm by group44

DriverSports and Iracing

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: DriverSports and Iracing

Post  timneyb on Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:08 pm

Forgetful wrote:Gonna assume you signed up with your full first name. Friends request sent
Yep, because billing information.

No time to set up now though... probably tomorrow.

timneyb

http://www.gtdata.net

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:00 am

I aim to turn a wheel some time today. Reading beginners guide with my coffee. What's a good car/track combo to turn some laps and get a feel of how it's different?

timneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  vkaifh on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:30 am

timneyb wrote:I aim to turn a wheel some time today. Reading beginners guide with my coffee. What's a good car/track combo to turn some laps and get a feel of how it's different?

since the nvidia cup is most likely your first event I would take the MX-5 to Lime Rock Full and/or to Okayama Short.

I just did my first 2 TTs and moved up to 2.60 Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:38 am

vkaifh wrote:
timneyb wrote:I aim to turn a wheel some time today. Reading beginners guide with my coffee. What's a good car/track combo to turn some laps and get a feel of how it's different?

since the nvidia cup is most likely your first event I would take the MX-5 to Lime Rock Full and/or to Okayama Short.

I just did my first 2 TTs and moved up to 2.60 Very Happy

This.

Limerock IMO is the track that shows off the 'difference' in the feel... The track surface has a lot to say at Limerock! Laughing

"Nah, he didn't ram you, he rubbed you; and rubbin' son, is racin'."
HWKII

http://www.driversports.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:19 pm

You have MRLS to make a comparison with GT5. You'll do lot of Okayama and Lime Rock so the knowledge is worth the time.
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:44 pm

MRLS?

Ran at Okyama for 30 minutes. Not sure I can get my wheel set up right though. Ran through the calibration wizard thingee in game and it just reads maxed out on my DFGT beyond about 120 degrees of angle. Result is the wheel is probably too sensitive... maybe. Not sure though. The real problem is though that "Logitech Gaming Software" doesn't seem to recognize the device. I'm assuming that if it did I would be able to perform a lower level calibration of the wheel, then tweak within iRacing. Not sure how to make this better, but I'll potter on for now.

I miss zero configuration necessary.

timneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  RackAttack on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:48 pm

timneyb wrote:MRLS?

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
RackAttack

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:55 pm

timneyb wrote:MRLS?

Ran at Okyama for 30 minutes. Not sure I can get my wheel set up right though. Ran through the calibration wizard thingee in game and it just reads maxed out on my DFGT beyond about 120 degrees of angle. Result is the wheel is probably too sensitive... maybe. Not sure though. The real problem is though that "Logitech Gaming Software" doesn't seem to recognize the device. I'm assuming that if it did I would be able to perform a lower level calibration of the wheel, then tweak within iRacing. Not sure how to make this better, but I'll potter on for now.

Best thing to do, Timney, is to ignore the wizard, calibrate the wheel by turning it full stop left and right, then centering it to the point where the game detects it at 0.0000, then turn the wheel left (I think it asks for left) until the 'range of motion' indicator reads exactly 900 degrees.

That gives you 1:1 wheel to game movement. Next recommendation is to check out the Technical Support thread on how to set your FFB effect strengths to be linear. Requires an INI tweak. Go forth and enjoy! Very Happy

HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  vkaifh on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:06 am

I have a question about replays.

When saving my replay it ends up in a .rpy file in my replay folder. I'm wondering if those replays can me sent to others and could they then watch it?
Obviously the replay of a whole race would be a monster file; but I'm more interested in a replay of a fast and clean lap from a race, q, tt or test session. The cut functionality allows to reduce the replay to what ever you want to save.
Watching that lap from cockpit and/or chase view would help me getting fast faster.

If so I would be very much interested in a decent lap with the MX-5 at Lime Rock. Anybody? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:16 am

timneyb wrote:

All the Logitech 900s do that when you don't use the gaming software. In there default it sets your max to 200 instead of 900 for reasons I don't understand. Try a different USB port?

So, Like a Star @ heaven, in which tier do you Racin\' ?
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:18 am

vkaifh wrote:I have a question about replays.

When saving my replay it ends up in a .rpy file in my replay folder. I'm wondering if those replays can me sent to others and could they then watch it?
Obviously the replay of a whole race would be a monster file; but I'm more interested in a replay of a fast and clean lap from a race, q, tt or test session. The cut functionality allows to reduce the replay to what ever you want to save.
Watching that lap from cockpit and/or chase view would help me getting fast faster.

If so I would be very much interested in a decent lap with the MX-5 at Lime Rock. Anybody? Very Happy

Pretty sure I've seen lap replays posted in the iracing forum, check in there (rookie road racing cars subforum --> mx-5 anything in the thread title)

clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  vkaifh on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:31 am

clacksman wrote:
Pretty sure I've seen lap replays posted in the iracing forum, check in there (rookie road racing cars subforum --> mx-5 anything in the thread title)

that's too easy Very Happy

Already found a replay, thanks for the tip Thumbs Up!

Back to top Go down

Post  vkaifh on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:27 pm

oh man, those replays make my day. Without seeing that it can be done I would have never gone through those turns while staying on the gas. affraid

Down to 1'00.3 with an opt. lap of 59.8. Very Happy

With every session I love iRacing more, very addictive. I guess the kids have to go to bed early today. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:35 pm

vkaifh wrote:oh man, those replays make my day. Without seeing that it can be done I would have never gone through those turns while staying on the gas. affraid

Down to 1'00.3 with an opt. lap of 59.8. Very Happy

With every session I love iRacing more, very addictive. I guess the kids have to go to bed early today. Razz

cheers

iSpeed, worthwhile program to install. Freeware, accepts donations.

Oooooh dat telemetry. Cool

HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:41 am

My wife came home late with dinner, so I was playing with my new toy, iRacing. She takes one look at the screen and says "that looks too much like a video game". Can't say she's wrong, but the physics are great. That didn't impress her though.

timneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  vkaifh on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:15 am

maybe someone can explain what just happened to me:

I was in the grid ready for the race with my foot on the break. I tried a few times to put in 1st gear but it wouldn't work. No problem I thought, maybe it gets activated when the lights come on. But no, still wouldn't work and when the lights turn green my car spun (while not moving forward) and I was told to toe my car into the pit.

Then when I was trying to get out of the pit, my gear shifter were reversed; left shifted upwards and right downwards.

At what point can I put in my first gear? What is the secret to starting the race?

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:30 am

vkaifh wrote:maybe someone can explain what just happened to me:

I was in the grid ready for the race with my foot on the break. I tried a few times to put in 1st gear but it wouldn't work. No problem I thought, maybe it gets activated when the lights come on. But no, still wouldn't work and when the lights turn green my car spun (while not moving forward) and I was told to toe my car into the pit.

Then when I was trying to get out of the pit, my gear shifter were reversed; left shifted upwards and right downwards.

At what point can I put in my first gear? What is the secret to starting the race?

Don't engage 1st gear until green lights. I haven't had the spin or backwardsbuttons, but I have had it not let me do 1st gear after the start when I did 1st gear too early. You don't hold it with the brake (at least I don't), it holds you with some autobrake unless you go into gear.

clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  vkaifh on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:34 am

clacksman wrote:
Don't engage 1st gear until green lights. I haven't had the spin or backwardsbuttons, but I have had it not let me do 1st gear after the start when I did 1st gear too early. You don't hold it with the brake (at least I don't), it holds you with some autobrake unless you go into gear.

ah, ok. Thanks Thumbs Up!

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:59 am

My start procedure in the Miata is to leave it in N, and rev up the engine a bit when the lights come up, then drop it in to 1st when they go green. The game will allow you to shift in to 1st gear as soon as the 'Time to grid' timer reaches 0:00. You can see it in the upper right hand corner of the 'F1' black box. If you jump the start, you're black flagged and have to pit in for a stop and go. Be sure to uncheck your tires and fuel refill, or else that penalty is way worse.

Your buttons being reversed is... very strange... Iono on that one. affraid

HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  robiker on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:30 pm

I'd go back into options and make sure I had the buttons assigned correctly.
robiker

Back to top Go down

Post  vkaifh on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:58 pm

robiker wrote:I'd go back into options and make sure I had the buttons assigned correctly.
that's what I did right after I got out of the race and everything was correctly assigned. On my next test drive everything was back to normal.
I almost think that's the way the game shows transmission failure caused by me getting into gears way to early while on the break.

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:26 pm

HWKII wrote:My start procedure in the Miata is to leave it in N, and rev up the engine a bit when the lights come up, then drop it in to 1st when they go green. The game will allow you to shift in to 1st gear as soon as the 'Time to grid' timer reaches 0:00. You can see it in the upper right hand corner of the 'F1' black box. If you jump the start, you're black flagged and have to pit in for a stop and go. Be sure to uncheck your tires and fuel refill, or else that penalty is way worse.

If I put it in 1st before green lights, I can't apply any throttle or it goes forward enough to give me the jump start penalty even if I'm hard on the brake (attempting to hold it) because of the autoclutch. So yeah some revs when the lights go red, and reflex it into 1st when they go green (NOT just when someone else goes silent ).

F4 for fuel, space to uncheck. F5 for tires, space to uncheck, down arrow for nest tire, space to uncheck that one, etc.

clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:55 pm

clacksman wrote:
HWKII wrote:My start procedure in the Miata is to leave it in N, and rev up the engine a bit when the lights come up, then drop it in to 1st when they go green. The game will allow you to shift in to 1st gear as soon as the 'Time to grid' timer reaches 0:00. You can see it in the upper right hand corner of the 'F1' black box. If you jump the start, you're black flagged and have to pit in for a stop and go. Be sure to uncheck your tires and fuel refill, or else that penalty is way worse.

If I put it in 1st before green lights, I can't apply any throttle or it goes forward enough to give me the jump start penalty even if I'm hard on the brake (attempting to hold it) because of the autoclutch. So yeah some revs when the lights go red, and reflex it into 1st when they go green (NOT just when someone else goes silent ).

F4 for fuel, space to uncheck. F5 for tires, space to uncheck, down arrow for nest tire, space to uncheck that one, etc.

Yeah, I was for sure not meaning to suggest that going in to 1st right off the bat was a good idea, only that it was possible. If you slip on the shifters or something while waiting for the lights, make sure to do so before the timer hits 0! Laughing

HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:31 pm

Who is this Australian lying about non-existent cars to my left? If he's not talking about sheilas or beer he's inherently untrustworthy.

timneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  vkaifh on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:58 pm

I don't know if everyone already found this place but there is a webpage where you can search, up- and download setups for iRacing:

RaceSetups

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum