DriverSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."
13th Week - July 2012 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 pm by Forgetful

» DriverSports as a Race Team
13th Week - July 2012 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 2:56 pm by Rooster722

» DriverSports Rule Book - GT6
13th Week - July 2012 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 12:38 am by Forgetful

» The DriverSports Championship Series
13th Week - July 2012 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 pm by Forgetful

» The DriverSports World Series
13th Week - July 2012 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 3:21 pm by Forgetful

» Welcome to DriveSports.org
13th Week - July 2012 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 2:37 pm by Forgetful

» The Global Production Car Challenge
13th Week - July 2012 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 8:22 pm by Forgetful

» Moved to Alberta, took a new job
13th Week - July 2012 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 8:52 am by Forgetful

» Sportscars 2014 general
13th Week - July 2012 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 8:38 pm by group44

13th Week - July 2012

+2
Forgetful
RackAttack
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

13th Week - July 2012 Empty 13th Week - July 2012

Post  RackAttack Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:37 pm

Breaking this forum in...

I'll be on tonight practicing, qualifying, and then racing MX-5s at Charlotte road course.

Anyone else? We should try and coordinate.

Last edited by Forgetful on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Renamed)
RackAttack
RackAttack

Back to top Go down

13th Week - July 2012 Empty Re: 13th Week - July 2012

Post  Forgetful Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:17 pm

I'll look for you. Not sure I like this week 13, daily track change. The old' SR takes a hit learning new tracks.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:26 pm

Scheduled to run in the 8:30pm Pacific race tonight, will be on TS, though suspecting crickets, which is fine. Just putting it out there.

Qualifying did not go so hot, Charlotte Road Course why you gotta play me like that...

Forgetful wrote:I'll look for you. Not sure I like this week 13, daily track change. The old' SR takes a hit learning new tracks.

Moar Open Practice, SR doesn't take any hits during Open Practice sessions. Though I too have a tendency to learn a track in a Q session... Embarassed
HWKII
HWKII

http://www.driversports.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:42 pm

Practiced with John(Spec) and Jeff(Rack) for a while then raced. Ran in a field 20 and was fighting 5 cars for 8th place until we came up on a car that just went off. He tried to jump on track in the middle of our 5 car orgy and nearly wrecked me. I gathered it up and kept with the pack, and we all bunched up coming to the s/f line, where our newfound 6th participant decides his qualifying brake points will do fine to see him pass 5 cars in one corner... until he found the side of my car. Evil or Very Mad

A good race, but a shame to have it spoiled like that. Only takes 1.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:10 am

Forgetful wrote:Practiced with John(Spec) and Jeff(Rack) for a while then raced. Ran in a field 20 and was fighting 5 cars for 8th place until we came up on a car that just went off. He tried to jump on track in the middle of our 5 car orgy and nearly wrecked me. I gathered it up and kept with the pack, and we all bunched up coming to the s/f line, where our newfound 6th participant decides his qualifying brake points will do fine to see him pass 5 cars in one corner... until he found the side of my car. Evil or Very Mad

A good race, but a shame to have it spoiled like that. Only takes 1.

Indeed. My 8:00pm race was ... horribad. Somehow managed to not see the chainlink fence on the right side of the exit of the in field against the blacktop, CRUNCH, 10 minutes to repair allignment, went out with 30 degrees of steering lock to hold the car straight, did some ~1'34 laps with no 6th gear to boot, finished in the top 10... crazy
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:22 am

Watching RackAttack who is almost a minute up on the car in 2nd place on a 1'23 lap, 10 laps in... Going to lap the field! cheers

Edit: And there it was, on Lap 19... RackAttack, the only driver to complete all 20 laps of his split, because RackAttack is a monster... study affraid
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:46 am

Was racing for 1-3 until one of my partners decided to come to a near stop in t1, causing me to eat some wall. limped around to pit (thanks 1st repairs instantaneous) and rejoined in 5th. Caught and passed 4th. Came up on 3 limping then spinning on the back straight and 1st disco'd leaving me 40 seconds up on the 2nd place finisher. I win. cheers
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:49 am

Turn on yo chat
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  RackAttack Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:52 am

Retardo-chat thinks I'm logged in somewhere else and won't let me log in on Windows...
RackAttack
RackAttack

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:52 am

RackAttack wrote:Retardo-chat thinks I'm logged in somewhere else and won't let me log in on Windows...

MAC ATTACK!
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:54 am

lol
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:40 am

Actually got in to a race with Rack. He was on pole and I was 3rd. Started good and we broke away a little until I lost it exiting the infield. Just a bump and I rejoined mid pack. tooled around until I saw Rack dead in T1. Later he caught me and then I squeezed him in to the wall on lap 19. Shortly thereafter I pushed wide exiting the infield again and got the fence hard enough to get a post stuck in it, rather than the neat bounce that happens if you hit it lightly on just the fencing.

Couple good races. Gotta take some lumps out there in the wild with the rookies. Too tired to carry on.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:44 am

Forgetful wrote:Actually got in to a race with Rack. He was on pole and I was 3rd. Started good and we broke away a little until I lost it exiting the infield. Just a bump and I rejoined mid pack. tooled around until I saw Rack dead in T1. Later he caught me and then I squeezed him in to the wall on lap 19. Shortly thereafter I pushed wide exiting the infield again and got the fence hard enough to get a post stuck in it, rather than the neat bounce that happens if you hit it lightly on just the fencing.

Couple good races. Gotta take some lumps out there in the wild with the rookies. Too tired to carry on.

Dat fence... Bleep!
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:00 am

Whoa, I'm currently 25th overall in the 13th Week Mazda Cup. What a Face
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:28 am

I found myself still up at midnight, so I hopped in one more race. It was terrible. An extremely fast, impatient Aussie with a Spanish name got the red mist when he caught me and the 2 other leaders around 1/2 way. He started from the pits and blitzed the field.

He hit me on the uphill right hander in the infield, so I let him go by. On the straight he blocked me twice. 'aight, I'm here for safe clean driving, so I back off and decide I want nothing to do with this jerk. He then hammers 2nd in to 1st like a curling stone. 2nd survives, 1st retires, our perp carries on.

All of this carnage has me getting a run on the inside of the oval, but he blocks me again hitting me on the front fender this time. I try to back off but traffic builds up in T1 and I'm inside. I come out 1st with him behind me, so I pull over and slow down to let him and the next car go by.

More contact resulting in the other poor bastard getting spun on the straight, until finally he spins himself blocking a car that caught up to our mayhem.

He catches back up and hits the guy he spun off of straight on the bumper, the guy avoids the divebomb in the next corner and then they all seem to settle down and race to the end.

The point of this story... I filed an official protest, submited the replay in an email and described the events in lap by lap detail. It is someone's job today to read that email, watch that replay, and decide if this fool deserves further penalty.

Money well fucking spent.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  AgentWD40_FL Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:50 am

wow, that sounds like a whole lot of fun. not. and youse guys spend money for that? Hmmm ... glad i'm not doing it. good luck with that.

I'm currently a member of a few GT5 leagues, but i only race here. why? because you guys are the cleaniest, most considerate drivers i've ever found ... and your fast as the dickens doing it too. it was mentioned that attendance is alittle low here. doesnt bother me in the least because i'd rather race with 5 good drivers vs. 12 hell bent racers that have the mentality to win at all costs.

Even though i cant seem to keep the pace of 90% of you GT5 guys here, i have a heck of alot of fun. look forward to 1-2 DSO events per week just so i can share the track with a handful of great drivers that know how to race.
AgentWD40_FL
AgentWD40_FL

Back to top Go down

Post  group44 Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:07 pm

AgentWD40_FL wrote:i'd rather race with 5 good drivers vs. 12 hell bent racers that have the mentality to win at all costs.

Couldn't have said it any better Agent. We're happy to have quick n clean racers like yourself Very Happy
group44
group44

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:14 pm

Forgetful wrote:The point of this story... I filed an official protest, submited the replay in an email and described the events in lap by lap detail. It is someone's job today to read that email, watch that replay, and decide if this fool deserves further penalty.

Money well fucking spent.

Thumbs Up! Yeah, that's the only way to make sure you don't have to race against the clown again for a while. Hopefully, he'll learn his lesson.

I look forward to iRacing finishing it's Leagues feature, I think that we'd probably find a lot of like minded drivers in iRacing who are frustrated with some of the antics of racing in 'open rooms'.

I got squeezed off the inside of the oval by last night in the 8:00pm race and all I could think was I wish I could get on team radio and do my Fernando Alonzo impression... "ALL'A'DA TIME YOU LEAVE'A'DA SPACE!"

AgentWD40_FL wrote:wow, that sounds like a whole lot of fun. not. and youse guys spend money for that? Hmmm ... glad i'm not doing it. good luck with that.

Honestly, it is a lot of fun. The community is huge and the lack of anonymity does create a sense of responsibility. Drivers like that are fairly rare, more common are the guys who are completely overwhelmed by trying to drive car around a track. I watched RackAttack lap the field last night and, for the most part, the guys who were way off the pace were quite courteous. It's really not any different than the GT5 community, and when iRacing puts in full league support, well, then I'm sure DSO can provide the fine folks of iRacing with a haven, similar to what we offer for GT5. Cool
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:16 pm

It's a trade off, but I've run soooo many good races that this one poor experience isn't disheartening. the system iRacing has takes cares of guys like that. He scored the largest negative Safety rating I've seen yet, -0.72. This was a rookie event and by the looksif his charts, this guy won't be going anywhere beyond D clas anytime soon.

I'm actually quite pleased that there's a protest system in place, that's what I meant by money well spent (not sarcasm). I can race in the wild with the confidence that a system like the one we wanted to try and build for GT5 is in place. I can count the times I raced in the wild in GT 5 on one finger, because I never knew who might be a hack, have a ringer car, or wether I could trust them to go two wide through a corner. I can trust enough iracers to venture out there in a regular basis, and I know it gets even better at higher license levels, so there's a good reason to grind through rookie.

There is private racing too. Once I hav more friends on there will be hosted sessions, and what's wonderful about that is the depth of their system and it's stability. We dOnt have to manipulate qualifying, or the grid. Results are tracked, flags are automatic, pit stops don't favor the room host, etc...

Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:56 am

Renamed this thread for the week's rotation of tracks.

Okayama's been a cruel mistress, tempting me with low lap times and relative simplicity, but I keep getting in to trouble early. Sad

Anyone been out in the Legends?
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  RackAttack Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:24 pm

Have any of you guys been messing with tunes?

I was fiddling around with some things and could feel minor differences, but I wanted to see what typical changes are so I went in search of a published tune I could download and found this site: http://www.racesetups.com/

I downloaded this tune and used it for most of last night (though of course I couldn't stop myself from fiddling with it too). To me it felt more predictable and easier to catch. A little more balanced (i.e. less pushy) in the medium-high speed corners at Okayama full.

I ran a few laps at Summit Point before bed, pretty tricky track. I was trying it in the Roadster because I hadn't been in the 5 speed yet, and there were some really awkward spots gearing-wise. Hopefully the Cup car will be better in that respect.

Edit: Oh, if you're going to download a tune, you just save it to the appropriate car folder in My Documents/iRacing/setups/ (or something like that, I'm at work so I can't confirm).
RackAttack
RackAttack

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallhugger60 Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:57 pm

RackAttack wrote:Have any of you guys been messing with tunes?

I was fiddling around with some things and could feel minor differences, but I wanted to see what typical changes are so I went in search of a published tune I could download and found this site: http://www.racesetups.com/

I downloaded this tune and used it for most of last night (though of course I couldn't stop myself from fiddling with it too). To me it felt more predictable and easier to catch. A little more balanced (i.e. less pushy) in the medium-high speed corners at Okayama full.

I ran a few laps at Summit Point before bed, pretty tricky track. I was trying it in the Roadster because I hadn't been in the 5 speed yet, and there were some really awkward spots gearing-wise. Hopefully the Cup car will be better in that respect.

Edit: Oh, if you're going to download a tune, you just save it to the appropriate car folder in My Documents/iRacing/setups/ (or something like that, I'm at work so I can't confirm).

Summit is a pretty cool track. My brother in law runs there a few times every season. I know SCDA or NASA has some good vids of it and the other east coast tracks like Watkins Glen, Limerock, etc.

Wall
Wallhugger60
Wallhugger60

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:45 pm

RackAttack wrote:Have any of you guys been messing with tunes?

Tuning has had a pretty dramatic effect on the Skip Barbur car in making it more predictable at the edge of traction. I didn't notice much difference in the Miata but I suppose I didn't expect to either? By all accounts, the tuning in iRacing is exceptionally realistic, which makes me excited because now I can finally put some of the stuff from my racecar engineering and tuning books to practice instead of "Make tuning change in GT5, find result is opposite of real life, get confused, ask clacksman for tune". Laughing
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallhugger60 Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:11 pm

TIRE PRESSURE....nice:D
Wallhugger60
Wallhugger60

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:01 pm

FYI the Mazda cup is fixed setup, or Tuninig Prohibited if you will.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next