DriverSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."
Daytona - Victory tastes great! (I almost forgot what it was like to win) I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 pm by Forgetful

» DriverSports as a Race Team
Daytona - Victory tastes great! (I almost forgot what it was like to win) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 2:56 pm by Rooster722

» DriverSports Rule Book - GT6
Daytona - Victory tastes great! (I almost forgot what it was like to win) I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 12:38 am by Forgetful

» The DriverSports Championship Series
Daytona - Victory tastes great! (I almost forgot what it was like to win) I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 pm by Forgetful

» The DriverSports World Series
Daytona - Victory tastes great! (I almost forgot what it was like to win) I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 3:21 pm by Forgetful

» Welcome to DriveSports.org
Daytona - Victory tastes great! (I almost forgot what it was like to win) I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 2:37 pm by Forgetful

» The Global Production Car Challenge
Daytona - Victory tastes great! (I almost forgot what it was like to win) I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 8:22 pm by Forgetful

» Moved to Alberta, took a new job
Daytona - Victory tastes great! (I almost forgot what it was like to win) I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 8:52 am by Forgetful

» Sportscars 2014 general
Daytona - Victory tastes great! (I almost forgot what it was like to win) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 8:38 pm by group44

Daytona - Victory tastes great! (I almost forgot what it was like to win)

+3
clacksman
vkaifh
SpecMiata-JSW
7 posters

Go down

Daytona - Victory tastes great! (I almost forgot what it was like to win) Empty Daytona - Victory tastes great! (I almost forgot what it was like to win)

Post  SpecMiata-JSW Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:09 pm

Okay guys, here is the rundown from my race
last weekend at Daytona. I entered the car in ITA rather than SM because my car
has always been a turd on the tri-oval due to my engine being 10 years old. The
ITA field was pretty small….3 cars including me. The good news is my good
friends entered their Civic which is actually prepped to the ITA rules and very
fast, so if I could even stay in the same zip code with them it would be a
victory. The SM field was smaller too…about 17-19 cars.

In Qualifying I hooked up and bump drafted with
my good friend in his SM, together we qualified very fast and within the top 10
overall. Here is the breakdown of qualifying:

ITA Civic – 8th overall – 1st
ITA – 2:22.444

Spec Miata – 9th overall – 1st
SM – 2:22.531

Me – ITA Miata – 10th overall – 2nd
ITA – 2:22.661

Next fastest SM 12th overall – 2:25.634

I was stoked about qualifying and by the times
in qualifying it was set to be a great race!

The race went well and I jumped to a lead over
the other SM and Civic immediately, I held the lead for a while until they
worked together to catch up, which was about 15 minutes into the race. I haven’t
uploaded the start of the race yet, just the 2nd portion since there
was a large gap of nothing going on. For some reason the Go Pro films in 33
minute segments. The highlight of the film is at 21:25 when a Spec Racer Ford
gets in the way of our race and I get a nice run on the Civic and pass him into
turn 1. I end up sliding the car most of the lap since my tires are getting
overheated and giving up.

I ended up getting away from the Civic after
pit stops. I pitted later, they changed drivers and I stayed in and cut good
consistent laps. I think I utilized the pit entry and exit a bit better which
helped give me a gap.

Anyway, the race ended up being a win for me
which was amazing since I can’t remember the last win I’ve had. It felt really
good and I’m still on a bit of a high from it.

This may be fun for the sim guys to watch since
we’ve all raced Daytona once or twice! Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig-AmUxriPc&feature=plcp
SpecMiata-JSW
SpecMiata-JSW

Back to top Go down

Daytona - Victory tastes great! (I almost forgot what it was like to win) Empty Re: Daytona - Victory tastes great! (I almost forgot what it was like to win)

Post  vkaifh Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:32 am

nice video and nice pass Thumbs Up!

After you passed the car I tried to change my view to the other car to see how far he fell behind but couldn't find out how. Guess I have to read the user manual of 'You Tube' again study Razz
vkaifh
vkaifh

Back to top Go down

Daytona - Victory tastes great! (I almost forgot what it was like to win) Empty Re: Daytona - Victory tastes great! (I almost forgot what it was like to win)

Post  clacksman Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:24 am

vkaifh wrote:After you passed the car I tried to change my view to the other car to see how far he fell behind but couldn't find out how. Guess I have to read the user manual of 'You Tube' again study Razz

lol
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:44 am

Nasal passages, meet coffee lol!
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  group44 Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:57 am

Congrats Spec, stellar result. alien
group44
group44

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallhugger60 Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:03 pm

Nice Job Man! You got a nice camera. I'm jealous I didn't get any vids last weekend:( . 2 Questions...I've seen that ITA referenced before, but what is it? And, what is that little dead animal hangin by the passenger window Smile .

Wall
Wallhugger60
Wallhugger60

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:24 pm

Awesome John.

timneyb

http://www.gtdata.net

Back to top Go down

Post  SpecMiata-JSW Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks for the comments and views guys! It was a lot of fun and I'm still a bit buzzed from the weekend.

Wall, to answer your question about ITA. ITA stands for Improved Touring Class A. It's an open class where Miatas, Civics, CRXs, Integras, Saturns, Neons, etc. can race. Many SM's race there so they can race in two separate races in 1 weekend. I chose to race in ITA again because I can remove 25lbs out of the car. The main reason I entered in ITA was because my buddies in the Civic entered and I wanted to be lighter so it would be easier to keep up with them. The Civic is prepped to ITA rules and you can see how much faster it is, it's clearly got a torque advantage in the infield. It's been fun racing ITA, but my heart is still with SM.

The animal....that's Bongo the Monkey. My baby sister gave Bongo to me on my first race weekend as a "good luck charm" to keep me safe. He's done a good job so far, and I wouldn't race without him now. What a Face

Besides....what's more nerve wrecking than having a competitor with a monkey zip tied to his roll cage. It makes my chick car look tough. Very Happy
SpecMiata-JSW
SpecMiata-JSW

Back to top Go down

Post  SpecMiata-JSW Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:10 pm

If anyone is interested in more from Daytona; here is the start of the race, I got a great
start and got squeezed into turn 1, but held position. Later in the lap
you can see my buddy Scott in the Civic almost "eat it" re-entering
NASCAR 1, then a sweet outside pass on the SRF into turn 1. Daytona - Victory tastes great! (I almost forgot what it was like to win) Biggrin

The race goes quiet for a bit as I get away from my competitors, but at
18:45 they find their way back onto the camera, and at 21:00 you can see
the crazy effects of bump drafting. Tune into the sound difference of
the engine with each big push out of the chicane. It's nutty. Good
times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGRDW0-y8no&feature=plcp

Thanks for watching!
SpecMiata-JSW
SpecMiata-JSW

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down