I forgot my password

September 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."
Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 pm by Forgetful

» DriverSports as a Race Team
Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:56 pm by Rooster722

» DriverSports Rule Book - GT6
Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:38 am by Forgetful

» The DriverSports Championship Series
Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 pm by Forgetful

» The DriverSports World Series
Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:21 pm by Forgetful

» Welcome to DriveSports.org
Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:37 pm by Forgetful

» The Global Production Car Challenge
Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:22 pm by Forgetful

» Moved to Alberta, took a new job
Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:52 am by Forgetful

» Sportscars 2014 general
Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:38 pm by group44

What cars and tracks to get next?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What cars and tracks to get next?

Post  Wallhugger60 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:27 am

My lovely wife gave me a gift certificate for iracing for Christmas. We do most of our presents on Christmas Eve Smile. I started looking a bit last night and was overwhelmed a little so I figured I'd see what you guys think. I figured prolly 2 cars and 4-5 tracks. I looked thru the events and saw that I won't be eligible for a lot of them for a while, sothat's why just 2 cars. I think 1 would be the Skippy but not sure after that. There's the Jetta, the Mustang, that new McClaren and a few others I could use right away. I kinda thought I should stay at a level I can handle, so most of that really fast stuff is out. I've barely got a handle on the SRF.

The tracks on the other hand make me wish I could get almost all of them lol. I also wish I knew what was coming up in the next season and buy what I need for some of the events. I know there's a discount for buying multiple items so maybe I should wait (but I don't want to, especially the cars) till I see.

Anyway, some thoughts would be appreciated Smile.

Tracy

Back to top Go down

Re: What cars and tracks to get next?

Post  Forgetful on Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:31 pm

You're right to go for tracks over cars. You never know what the schedule changes might bring to the table for the series you're used to running. I'd almost wait until the 2013 season 1 schedule is announced to see what tracks are swapped in to the series you do like running. Obviously the rookies stuff won't change, but the inRacing News Challenge and the GTCup should get some different tracks to race on.

The Mustang and the Jetta are likely candidates, but they are two very different cars from anything else on iRacing. The MusTank is very much a moderately powered street car on street legal tires. It's heavy and as John as said before, it is prone to overheating the front tires and falling off late in the race. The Jetta is FWD and diesel. It takes a very different driving style and if you're not quick enough to outrun the fastest Mazdas and Pontiacs, then you can have some trouble as they try to dive past you in the few places they can, only to see you pass them on the next straight. I'm tempted by the Macca, but I already have the Vette and the Ford GT (the Mclaren now runs with them in the GT Challenge series), and they are a step up in difficulty. I'd roll around in the Caddy for a while before I bought the Macca.

Coming soon should be the Lotus 49, but if the SRF gave you fits, then it might be best to steer clear of the oversteerers like the Skippy. It's a fun car and a little more stable than the SRF, but it is faster and things happen sooner in that car. The Lotus 79 isn't as insane as I thought it would be, and now that I've got my confidence back I'm tempted to give the Riley another in live fire.

Tracks, like I said, wait and see, but if I had to guess I'd go with American tracks and newer tracks like Zolder, Oran Park and the like as they are most likely to see the most use.

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII on Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:49 pm

Agreeing with Forgetful; waiting until the new season schedule is posted and finding a series you're really in to, and then making sure you own all the tracks. Will be going with that strategy myself for the Skippy in preparation for the Lotus 49.

"Nah, he didn't ram you, he rubbed you; and rubbin' son, is racin'."
HWKII

http://www.driversports.org

Back to top Go down

Post  SpecMiata-JSW on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:56 am

I'd go for the Skippy or the Mustang...of course those are the only two cars I've done full seasons in. Embarassed Both communities are great and the races always go official, plus you can race them every night, where as the Jetta only has races on every other day and it's hit or miss if the race will go official or not (although they mostly do).

I thought the Mustang was the best fit for me and my driving style of learning on GT5 which is why I ran two of my first full seasons with it. I wanted to try something different and more challenging this season and went with the Skip, and I'm really glad I did. After focusing on both cars I now find it easier to hop from car to car, because you can find a little bit of each cars tendency in a lot of other cars on the service.

Glad to see you guys like the service. It's good to have some old school GT5'ers around. Laughing

Last edited by SpecMiata-JSW on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Turkey hangover)
SpecMiata-JSW

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallhugger60 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:30 pm

I guess I'll hold of for the time being until the new season starts. I definitely want the Skip, just not sure at this point what other car. I tried the Caddy and did as expected lol. I'm doing much better with the SFR now that I got rid of the oversteer being death problem Smile

The only thing I haven't really touched is the ride height settings and they seem to change the balance so I'm leaving them alone for now. Not sure if I've learned the car, or my adjustments made a nice difference but I can drive the car pretty well now. Q'd 2nd in the session for Okoyama, now just need to get better at traffic, especially in the beginning of the race. Usually end up either following the guy in front off track or spin. But I've then gone from the back to the front in pretty good time.

Anyway, thanks for all your input. I'll wait to see what I'm gonna need. Prolly get the Skippy then and see if after buying tracks if I have enough for a second car.

Tracy

Back to top Go down

Post  Goes_To_11 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:11 pm

Of course buy at least 6 at once for the best discount (besides buying everything). I'd consider buying Spa even if you don't have an event to run on it. I thought that Spa in GT was really well done until I saw the iRacing version. It's just a joy to drive around. It's also a good way to test your computer setup. It's very demanding on your graphics card.

Goes_To_11

Back to top Go down

Post  SpecMiata-JSW on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:21 pm

Goes_To_11 wrote:Of course buy at least 6 at once for the best discount (besides buying everything). I'd consider buying Spa even if you don't have an event to run on it. I thought that Spa in GT was really well done until I saw the iRacing version. It's just a joy to drive around. It's also a good way to test your computer setup. It's very demanding on your graphics card.

Agreed...iRacing's Spa makes GT5 feel like a video game. What WAT?

Very Happy

Seriously thought, Spa in iRacing is fantastic, just watch out for the track boundaries; if you are in an official session it could be costly to your SR if you haven't memorized every boundary.
SpecMiata-JSW

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallhugger60 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:24 pm

Yea, 6 is what I was figuring. Either 1 car / 5 tracks, or 2 and 4. I remem sober some of you had said Spa was amazing early on when we all started migrating so it's definitely a consideration. I have Zolder, Mid Ohio and Watkins from a previous buy. I was really hoping that Sears (Sonoma?) would be one as well as Indy Road. I like that track lol. Did my first enduro there with team FTW Smile. There's sure a bunch. I started pickin them and putting them in my cart and had 10 before I knew it Rolling Eyes. Limited budget though so that's out. C'mon Season 1 2013.

Tracy

Back to top Go down

Post  Goes_To_11 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:49 pm

Now I have to figure out what to buy. I'm going to get the McLaren for the 2.4. I'm considering the DP or maybe the skippy as well. That leaves me with 4 tracks. one will be Suzuka. Is Interlagos worth waiting for? How is Sebring?

I already have Silverstone, Spa, Brands Hatch, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen and the Cadillac tracks.

Goes_To_11

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:36 pm

*Ahem* Ermagerd, Interlergers. What a Face

I am definitely putting down money for Interlagos, loved it in F1 2011. Will love it even more in cars with real physics. Cool

HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:46 pm

Sebring is... flat. I haven't run anything but a few practice sessions, not enough to learn the track. Silverstone is samers.

Spa is gorgeous, but has a lot of easy 1x off tracks.

Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace (aka Interlagos) should be glorious. There's a reason it's a staple of the F1 schedule, quite often the final race of the season.

I love Suzuka. Running the GTCup there this week, and the Mustang at DRC, feels like prologue all over again. It's beautiful.

Sonoma (formerly Infineon, formerly Sears Point) is well used. She comes across as scary and dangerous with the blind apexes and whatnot, but it's a pretty tame course once you figure her out.

Indianapolis is also flat, but you know that. Bonus layouts we didn't have in Gran Turismo.

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:03 pm

Forgetful wrote:Sonoma (formerly Infineon, formerly Sears Point) is well used.

Sears Point is the little bluff it's on. Sonoma is the region. Infineon is some widget company.

So, Like a Star @ heaven, in which tier do you Racin\' ?
GTdata
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallhugger60 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:00 pm

Well with my budget in mind I spent about 60 beans. Figured I'll do another small buy when Interlagos and the 49 come out with another track as well. Looked at what was coming up in the series' I'm intersted in and made a list of the ones that overlapped the most and so I got...

1. The Skippy

2. Barber

3. Oran Park

4. Spa

5. Suzuka

Wall

Back to top Go down

Post  vkaifh on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:23 pm

one more item and you would have gotten the 20% discount over the 10%

Back to top Go down

Post  Goes_To_11 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Based on the schedule, I think that I've decided on the following tracks:
Suzuka
Zolder
Interlagos
Sebring

I have room for 2 more and trying to decide between:
Oran park (for srf)
Oulton (for mustang)
VIR (just because I really liked it in FC)
Barber (for grand am and srf)
Zandvoort (gt challenge)
Motegi (for GT challenge)

Any recommendations for which are good tracks in iRacing?

Goes_To_11

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:06 pm

Personally, I really enjoy driving Zandvoort.

HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  group44 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:56 pm

Goes_To_11 wrote:Any recommendations for which are good tracks in iRacing?

HWKII wrote:Personally, I really enjoy driving Zandvoort.

I'll second HWK's vote, and throw that in I found the Mustang at Oulton rather enjoyable in practice.
group44

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:32 am

I just drove the Williams FW-31 around Interlagos and poo came out. Shocked

I have never driven something in this game that felt like I am just simply not getting enough feedback to do well in it. Perhaps with Loadcell brake + ... some other gizmo, I dunno. The steering feels electronic and a bit dead, and the brakes will lock up on you if you bat an eyelash. I am sure with some practice it's tame compared to some car, but even in GT5 I don't remember thinking to myself "I have to drive past here, while my brain is screaming at me STOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP". Braking from 185mph to 50 in like 100m... affraid What a Face

HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum