DriverSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 pm by Forgetful

» DriverSports as a Race Team
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 2:56 pm by Rooster722

» DriverSports Rule Book - GT6
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 12:38 am by Forgetful

» The DriverSports Championship Series
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 pm by Forgetful

» The DriverSports World Series
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 3:21 pm by Forgetful

» Welcome to DriveSports.org
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 2:37 pm by Forgetful

» The Global Production Car Challenge
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 8:22 pm by Forgetful

» Moved to Alberta, took a new job
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 8:52 am by Forgetful

» Sportscars 2014 general
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 8:38 pm by group44

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."

+7
group44
RackAttack
timneyb
clacksman
SpecMiata-JSW
Forgetful
HWKII
11 posters

Page 5 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 27  Next

Go down

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 5 Empty Re: The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."

Post  Forgetful Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:50 pm

George Hamilton is the original stereotype for leather faced, over tanned actors.

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 5 B-493748-George_Hamilton_cigar
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 5 Empty Re: The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."

Post  Forgetful Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:50 pm

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 5 ACA42797-B1B0-486B-8FDD-1C4F7E58B50D-725-000000D2A03BB834

The only interesting stuffs on the lot here are the STI and the WRX and the new 'Stangs. The blue one is the new 300 horse V6, but it's not a manual so not interested.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:33 am

V70R - One in Edmonton at a dealer, cheap, AWD, Auto
STS-V - In Kamloops, Private, cheaper, RWD, Auto
Phaeton - a few around but no W12s right now, little more monies, AWD, Auto
E60 M5 - more monies, more difficult to get, RWD, Auto
Range Rover - Plenty in Vancouver area, little more monies, 4WD, Auto

Told Jody (my sales rep) that I'd almost take either the Volvo or the Caddy tomorrow, but the other three are sweet. If I did have to choose from the two at hand I'm quite torn. 

The big Caddy is probably more fun, but a little flash and probably a bit rougher around the edges. 

The Volvo, though not quite a sleeper, is fast enough, rare-ish and pretty sharp in black. Oh, and it's AWD which is kinda handy around here several months of the year. RWD sure is fun though. 

The Caddy has that prodigious power that I wanted in the M5. The Volvo is going to be a lot better on gas, while still getting along nicely.

I like the leather in the Volvo. I don't like the 'wood' in the Caddy, but that could be skinned with Carbon Fauxber.

I mean, as I type this it's back and forth between the two. Then one of the others comes to mind I think I should hunt one down, but I don't expect the Volvo or Caddy to sit around for long... gah!
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:01 am

Forgetful wrote:
I mean, as I type this it's back and forth between the two. Then one of the others comes to mind I think I should hunt one down, but I don't expect the Volvo or Caddy to sit around for long... gah!

I like the idea of the Phaeton. Only car people will even know what it is, but what it is, is awesome.

However, I think it's time to stop evaluating rationally. Imagine you're in the Volvo after a week. It's smart, practical, reasonably fast. Do you wish you had the Caddy? If not you're good. Otherwise, if you can handle RWD in the BC winter, I'd get the other.

I have practical car. But, I wish I bought the other one.

timneyb

http://www.gtdata.net

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:10 am

Forgetful wrote:George Hamilton is the original stereotype for leather faced, over tanned actors.

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 5 B-493748-George_Hamilton_cigar

Looks like he sells Corinthian leather. Used.

Forgetful wrote:The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 5 ACA42797-B1B0-486B-8FDD-1C4F7E58B50D-725-000000D2A03BB834

The only interesting stuffs on the lot here are the STI and the WRX and the new 'Stangs. The blue one is the new 300 horse V6, but it's not a manual so not interested.

Manual V6s are around but briefly, and at least you know they're not an ex-rental. I don't need >200hp so I'd hunt a '10 V6 but that's me.

Forgetful wrote: Oh, and it's AWD which is kinda handy around here several months of the year. RWD sure is fun though. 

lolAWDwinterbabies

Get some good snows, you'll be fine.

timneyb wrote:I like the idea of the Phaeton. Only car people will even know what it is, but what it is, is awesome.

Yeah really. W12 is nice, but are there no delicious V10TDIs around there?
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:01 am

The only Phaetons around right now are all V8s. I don't think I've seen a TDI for sale yet. I would do a TDI or a W12.

The Volvo is cool, but if I want the Volvo I want a Phaeton more. That is where this started (with the newer cars anyways, lets just forget the Skoda)

The V6 Mustang creeped in there because knowing what I know about new cars and dealerships, I bet I could get a V6 manny tranny for just a little bit more than a slightly used '10 model. The interest rates are the key. 7% is about as low as you'll get a loan for a used car, whereas FoMoCo will finance or lease you a new car at anywhere from 0-3%. But every time I think about that Grabber blue, I just can't help but think about how common Mustangs are. The 'special-ness' is in the newness of the car, not the car itself. That's not what I want. I want a car that's special.

The Cadillac seems to have an edge this morning. It's cool on a base level. It's fun. It's big. It's also kind of a descendant of the first car I bought, my '77 Impala (like a Great Uncle). Not worried about driving it in the winter, just sayin having AWD is nice, especially in a valley like this. Half this town is on the side of a mountain.

But geez, you know, a W12 Phaeton is almost as powerful as the STS-V (and the TDI is a monster too, 309hp and 553 torques)

But that Cadillac does look good. Probably cheaper to maintain. Rarer than I thought too, only made 2500 of 'em.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:06 am

Forgetful wrote:But that Cadillac does look good. Probably cheaper to maintain.

I sorta doubt that if there's only 2500 of 'em. That supercharged Northstar sounds glorious though.

Also; best thing I've read in a couple days
http://www.roadandtrack.com/features/magazine/features-magazines-features-the-life-of-phil-remington
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:15 am

VW is based on a Bently and an Audi, is AWD and has a lot more electrics, sensors and doodads. STS is based on GM parts bin, RWD and isn't particularly loaded with a lot of tech. study

I'll call Jody this morning and tell her to track down a TDI Phaeton.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:24 am

Forgetful wrote: STS is based on GM parts bin, RWD and isn't particularly loaded with a lot of tech. study

The STS is a Cad-only platform (it's not a G8/Holden/Opel), and the blown Northstar is in just that and the also-rare XLR. The Brembo brakes won't be typical-GM-cheap even if they are shared with X other cars.

May or may not be cheaper to keep than the big VW.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:06 pm

Fiat 500 Abarth
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:35 pm

Forgetful wrote:Fiat 500 Abarth
Sesame street flashback. One of these things is not like the other, one of these things is not quite the same...

timneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:41 pm

Every FIAT® 500 Abarth owner will learn how to max out
their performance and up their racing skills with a one-day professional driver experience

timneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:52 pm

timneyb wrote:
Sesame street flashback. One of these things is not like the other, one of these things is not quite the same...

inorite?

Didn't see the driving experience thing. Neat. Could enter in B-Spec too.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:40 pm

lol, just saw a Mary Kay pink Cadillac XLR
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  group44 Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Forgetful wrote:Could enter in B-Spec too.

Good laugh on that one.

Agree\'d Thanks for the linkage.
group44
group44

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:30 am

lol! crazy scratch
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:17 am

Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:38 pm

Those rear seat controls. Need chauffeur.

timneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:02 pm

That's ... a bit of a hike for me.  176k would scare me away even though it's partly explained by the "Mission Viejo Audi" rear plate surround.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:07 pm

You know you want to... I'd cover your gas and dinner. pig

I just passed the ad on to Jody. She's bugging VW dealers for me. It's a Phaeton or bust. veeeights and veesixes need not apply.

I'll swing by if it happens to be that car. Very Happy
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:12 pm

Would if I could, but the 'private' people in charge of licenses in Ontario are both lax at informing of natural license expiration compared to when the gubmint ran it and asshole enough to make you start the graduated program again if you don't find out within some time frame. I found this out the hard way via my insurance people wanting a photocopy of my new license I didn't know I had needed for several months.

Bleep!
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:18 pm

Oh snap. Red tape FTL.

You mean you gotta have an 'N' on the back of your car for like 20 years before you get a real license? When they implemented it here they started with kids born in September 1982 *shakes fist* 11 damn days.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:48 am

Here it's 'G1' for 12 months (8 if you pass a certified training thing like Young Drivers) where you can drive just in daylight on nonfreeways with an experienced 'G' person in the front with you holding your hand the whole time.  Then it's 'G2' for another 12 months where you can drive on your own wherever whenever but still must be 100% sober and can't have anyone in the car unseatbelted (no big deals, can own a car etc.).  Then you're finally a Big Boy (or girl) with a 'G' that can have .08% BAC and carry eleventeen people unbelted in a pickup bed at o-dark-thirty in the mornin'.

When they put this in in the mid-'90s it was (and still is) for anyone new.  I think I was wandering in about 11 months after implementation.  I was also guinea-pig year for high schools to not have Grade 13 anymore.

No mandatory 'N' thing for the back window or 'P' plates like Australians, though.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:36 am

clacksman wrote:Here it's 'G1' for 12 months (8 if you pass a certified training thing like Young Drivers) where you can drive just in daylight on nonfreeways with an experienced 'G' person in the front with you holding your hand the whole time.  Then it's 'G2' for another 12 months where you can drive on your own wherever whenever but still must be 100% sober and can't have anyone in the car unseatbelted (no big deals, can own a car etc.).  Then you're finally a Big Boy (or girl) with a 'G' that can have .08% BAC and carry eleventeen people unbelted in a pickup bed at o-dark-thirty in the mornin'.

When they put this in in the mid-'90s it was (and still is) for anyone new.  I think I was wandering in about 11 months after implementation.  I was also guinea-pig year for high schools to not have Grade 13 anymore.

No mandatory 'N' thing for the back window or 'P' plates like Australians, though.
Fuck, it's like you lost your game save.

timneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:31 am

Ouch, that sucks.

We have the 'L' and 'N' magnets that have to be on the car during your newbie stages.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 27  Next