DriverSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 pm by Forgetful

» DriverSports as a Race Team
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 2:56 pm by Rooster722

» DriverSports Rule Book - GT6
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 12:38 am by Forgetful

» The DriverSports Championship Series
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 pm by Forgetful

» The DriverSports World Series
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 3:21 pm by Forgetful

» Welcome to DriveSports.org
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 2:37 pm by Forgetful

» The Global Production Car Challenge
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 8:22 pm by Forgetful

» Moved to Alberta, took a new job
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 8:52 am by Forgetful

» Sportscars 2014 general
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 8:38 pm by group44

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."

+7
group44
RackAttack
timneyb
clacksman
SpecMiata-JSW
Forgetful
HWKII
11 posters

Page 3 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 27  Next

Go down

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."

Post  clacksman Thu May 30, 2013 6:37 pm

The sub-$100k new Alfas aren't really a thing in north 'murika yet, unless the Dart is close enough for you.

It better not be close enough ...
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."

Post  Forgetful Thu May 30, 2013 7:37 pm

clacksman wrote:The sub-$100k new Alfas aren't really a thing in north 'murika yet, unless the Dart is close enough for you.

It better not be close enough ...

Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that.

Also, Kansas is actually in Kansas. The Ohio thing was an error by iRacing in the track info. Moar betar.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  group44 Thu May 30, 2013 8:40 pm

For the toy car route, I'd say that either of these could easily get my vote Very Happy I've wanted a(ny) Seven for as long as I can remember.

group44
group44

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Thu May 30, 2013 10:22 pm

Oh god, I'd drive a Lotus 7 every day. Don't even care.

The Miata and/or E30 are toys, yes, but as close to practical as I am willing to go at the moment. Swinging bachelor that I am and all that. Would love an old Alfa, but they don't make them in my size (even down 50lbs, still too damn big). Would commit crimes for the upcoming Alfa Spider they're making with Mazda if it looks anything like the concept. The TR-6 is honestly my dream car.

On the more practical end of the spectrum, late 90s/early 00s Imprezza sedan would be high on my list, except that it's almost impossible to find one that hasn't been totaled or chopped/ruined. Aaaand... Nope, that's it. 4 doors and room for 4 adults is as practical as I'm willing to go.

As I explain to my coworkers, I've been walking and getting around without a car for 29 years. I can manage with an impractical car. I want something good fun to drive, that doesn't inhale gas money. If it means sinking time and cash in to it to get it to that place, I'm cool with that, so long as I can decide to drop the top and head to the coast. Or up to Vancouver, BC. Not to stalk Stephen, though I'd say Hi, I have some other Canuckistani friends who bug me regularly to come visit.
HWKII
HWKII

http://www.driversports.org

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Thu May 30, 2013 11:35 pm

There is nothing about this picture with which I am not in love:

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 3 TesGVtN
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Fri May 31, 2013 2:38 am

Sigh.

Shopping the 12-20k range is difficult.

RX-8, Boxster, Carreras, E46 M3, CTS-V, C5 Vette, XK8 (even some Rs), bunch of AMGs

drunken
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Fri May 31, 2013 5:29 am

Forgetful wrote:Sigh.

Shopping the 12-20k range is difficult.

RX-8, Boxster, Carreras, E46 M3, CTS-V, C5 Vette, XK8 (even some Rs), bunch of AMGs

drunken

... JK, any good Benz (W140/W126/W124/R107), some '11 5.0s. Those early '80s 911s are going up in value.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Fri May 31, 2013 10:58 am

Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Fri May 31, 2013 9:59 pm

Going test driving, just in Kamloops this weekend, to see if I can narrow it down a bit.

911 classic... would probably kill me. I would taunt the gods of oversteer and they would seek snap-over-retribution. Would look like a euro-snob, up until I died. That's out.

Mercs... the thought of AMG torque is intoxicating, but I'd look like a drug dealer or exchange broker. Probably no, but I reserve judgement until I drive one.

E46 M3, E39 M5... Do I drive hard often enough to make either of those worthwhile? Is that the only reason to own an M, or are they that good as daily drivers too? Implied asshat inside is implied.

C5 Vette. Probably not going to find a Z06, but still. There was a Viper rolling behind my in traffic today and I was all hot and bothered. I won't find a Viper for that money but a C5 has a similar presence. If I'm going to go fast, might as well look the part. Also, and kinda a big deal... POP UPS!!!

Phaeton. Still topping my list. Smooth, luxurious, powerful and discreet. That

XK8. It would have to blow my mind behind the wheel. Cool, but kind of girly, no? I'm a dog person anyways.

MX-5, Solstice, Z3 or 4... will test drive, not really excited by any of them on paper. MX-5 would be a want if I was going to track it.

350Z, Mustang, Camaro and its cousins... not interested.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Fri May 31, 2013 10:16 pm

Oh, hello Range Rovers.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:54 am

Forgetful wrote:Oh, hello Range Rovers.

Do you like fixing things?

timneyb

http://www.gtdata.net

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:16 am

That's generous, I really went 0/10. 1 at most.

Forgetful wrote:Going test driving, just in Kamloops this weekend, to see if I can narrow it down a bit.

911 classic... would probably kill me. I would taunt the gods of oversteer and they would seek snap-over-retribution. Would look like a euro-snob, up until I died. That's out.

Mercs... the thought of AMG torque is intoxicating, but I'd look like a drug dealer or exchange broker. Probably no, but I reserve judgement until I drive one.

E46 M3, E39 M5... Do I drive hard often enough to make either of those worthwhile? Is that the only reason to own an M, or are they that good as daily drivers too? Implied asshat inside is implied.

C5 Vette. Probably not going to find a Z06, but still. There was a Viper rolling behind my in traffic today and I was all hot and bothered. I won't find a Viper for that money but a C5 has a similar presence. If I'm going to go fast, might as well look the part. Also, and kinda a big deal... POP UPS!!!

Phaeton. Still topping my list. Smooth, luxurious, powerful and discreet. That

XK8. It would have to blow my mind behind the wheel. Cool, but kind of girly, no? I'm a dog person anyways.

MX-5, Solstice, Z3 or 4... will test drive, not really excited by any of them on paper. MX-5 would be a want if I was going to track it.

350Z, Mustang, Camaro and its cousins... not interested.

Should be some imperfect early ('98-'01 ish) Viper coupes for 20k. The two problems with those are they're made by Chrysler, they're not really meant to be used daily, they really eat the gas, and they're useless in anything resembling winter.

Drug dealer Mercs are the white ones with the AMG kit and some painted/polished Lorinsers or maybe BBS RSs. Stock actual AMGs aren't pusher tier. Well, not always.

Anything British for 20 is a license to spend that much every 3 years on fixing things. Range Rovers included. High-odo Conti GTs included. Flying doorstops included.

Nice C5s are nice. Would rock a Z51-suspended manual-shifted one in place of a Z06. Or just a manual 'vert.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Ok, so this town is an awful place to shop for cars. I saw one E46 3 series. It was on 20s *shudder*. I saw one C5 Vette. No one came out of the dealership to try to sell it to me. There was a nice CL at the Merc dealership that I might go drive tomorrow. It was late by the time we got there and I didn't want to jump through the hoops to get them to let me drive it. It wasn't an AMG though.

Other than that, brand new V6 Mustang (they don't suck now that the 6 makes 300hp) in Grabber Blue was seksay at 22k. The 51k Mustang GT in Gotta Have It Green was bad and should feel bad. Dem Aston Fusions are nice. So is the new Focus. None of them make me fizz.

We drove through the Mazda lot. A young, spikey haired, stripped shirted salesman started strutting towards us when we were stopped. He put on his sunglasses, walked 10 feet, and then...

yanked them off with authority. Highlight of the day, by far.

I've decided it has to be a daily driver, so the sports cars and convertibles are out. It's down to the luxo-barges and the super-sedans, and last night when browsing the autotrader I realized that if I stretch the budget just a bit in to the mid 20s I can probably get a E60 M5. Dat V10, 500hp, 8k rpm! bounce
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:07 am

lol salesholes
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:36 pm

At the dealership. Starting down the road towards the M5. Exploratory mission today.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  group44 Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:56 pm

Forgetful wrote:...if I stretch the budget just a bit in to the mid 20s I can probably get a E60 M5. Dat V10, 500hp, 8k rpm! bounce

Never been a big Bimmer fan, but never the less, I need your problem Laughing
group44
group44

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:23 am

Forgetful wrote:E46 M3, E39 M5... Do I drive hard often enough to make either of those worthwhile? Is that the only reason to own an M, or are they that good as daily drivers too? Implied asshat inside is implied.

Razz
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:51 am

I know, but that was before I remembered 500hp, 8000rpm V10.

My Ford friends are looking for me.. The manager couldn't find anything yesterday but they have a guy who used to work for BMW that'll be in today and he should be able to find one. They want my Escape badly enough to offer me a little extra for it.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:55 am

I did tell myself that I wasn't going to let the stereotypes for the usual drivers deter me from the right car. It's a special car and I want it. They didn't make that V10 for long.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:18 pm

The asshattery is a little bit less implied and a little bit more directly stated when you're tooling around in a non-manual //M car.

*shrug*

Would so prefer a Phaeton to one of those fugly E60s.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:19 pm

The big VW isn't out of the picture yet, but if I have to fly to Ontreeoo to get it ill swing by and make a bim-liever out of you.

Oh gawd I'm tuning in to one of them already!

500hp V10. That's Viper hunting equipment
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:51 pm

Shared your story with a buddy of mine and coworker who is a huge BMW fan. Strongly recommends against the M5 on the grounds that: //M makes everything tons more expensive to repair/replace and not really a practical daily driver for gas guzzling reasons.

On the other hand, he tells me not to buy a Triumph TR-6, about which he is entirely wrong. Razz

That said, rode with him to work again today in his E30 cabi and ... I need this car in my life.
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:21 am

My bro-in-law has an E30 cabi (white/white over black, 6 cyl, automagic) for summer toydom reasons and it's okay I guess. There's some Brit roadsters bombing around here when the weather is nice (MGs, TRs, a couple TVRs).

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 3 38439810
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:46 pm

I lol'd

My commute is all of 6 blocks. Three rights, set of lights, road that bends left, right turn, road that bends right, left turn in to alley, and walla voila!

It's the going anywhere else that gets fun 5 mins out of town.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Forgetful wrote:I lol'd

My commute is all of 6 blocks. Three rights, set of lights, road that bends left, right turn, road that bends right, left turn in to alley, and walla voila!

It's the going anywhere else that gets fun 5 mins out of town.

This, this is the reason I wanted the cabi (and yes, white/white is the way to go). Around Portland anyway there are some amazing driver's roads. If any of you ever get down around here, find Old German Town Road, and be prepared to have a hell of a lot of fun.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Old+German+Town+Road,+Portland+OR&hl=en&sll=44.145447,-120.583402&sspn=5.636448,13.392334&t=v&hnear=NW+Old+Germantown+Rd,+Portland,+Multnomah,+Oregon&z=15

Dat elevation change. Cool
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 27  Next