DriverSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."
DriverSports and Iracing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 pm by Forgetful

» DriverSports as a Race Team
DriverSports and Iracing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 2:56 pm by Rooster722

» DriverSports Rule Book - GT6
DriverSports and Iracing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 12:38 am by Forgetful

» The DriverSports Championship Series
DriverSports and Iracing I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 pm by Forgetful

» The DriverSports World Series
DriverSports and Iracing I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 3:21 pm by Forgetful

» Welcome to DriveSports.org
DriverSports and Iracing I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 2:37 pm by Forgetful

» The Global Production Car Challenge
DriverSports and Iracing I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 8:22 pm by Forgetful

» Moved to Alberta, took a new job
DriverSports and Iracing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 8:52 am by Forgetful

» Sportscars 2014 general
DriverSports and Iracing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 8:38 pm by group44

DriverSports and Iracing

+14
the_saint8
SpecMiata-JSW
vkaifh
timneyb
Rooster722
Goes_To_11
robiker
AgentWD40_FL
RackAttack
Wallhugger60
clacksman
Wiz
HWKII
Forgetful
18 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

DriverSports and Iracing Empty DriverSports and Iracing

Post  Forgetful Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:49 pm

As you may have heard I signed up for I racing just the other day. It shouldn't diminish my participation with GT5, but Iracing is just too good to pass up.

Everything we've been trying to do for GT in the last few years is being done by Iracing. It is very well structured and it promotes clean racing. There's a learning curve with the physics, but after about 100 laps (mostly of Limerock, which is tiny) I was up to speed.

I've been running the MX-5 Roadster (our MX-5 TC is a dead ringer) at Limerock as it's one of the current scored events I qualify for. I scored my first win last night (you are split in to divisions based on experience and Safety Rating), and sure enough I got an email from one of the racers in that event... turns out GoesTo11 also just signed up for Iracing and was one of the victims of my first win. On a hunch that he might know the race winner from Western Canada division... my Mr.F avatar was a dead giveaway.

HWKII is also on there and SpecMiata will be back for season 3. It's not cheap, but you don't have to break the bank to get started. I do recommend it. Smile
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

DriverSports and Iracing Empty Re: DriverSports and Iracing

Post  HWKII Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:51 pm

I have been underneath Mr. Forgetful's Stock Car. Shocked
HWKII
HWKII

http://www.driversports.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Wiz Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:18 pm

You can get 6 months free by signing up here - https://www.cadillaccupracing.com/ What you actually get to play with is limited but if you've always wanted to try iRacing but never wanted to fork over the cash, this is a deal that obviously can't be beat. I signed up on Saturday myself. Very Happy
Wiz
Wiz

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Stephen Warcup, look me up!
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Wiz Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:27 pm

Forgetful wrote:Stephen Warcup, look me up!

Friend request sent. Name is Joel.

Unfortunately real life is going to kick my butt this week so I probably won't be able to play until the weekend.

Also, is anyone here playing with a Fanatec wheel? Specifically a CSR? I'm having some trouble getting the CSR to feel good/natural and I'm curious what settings others are using.
Wiz
Wiz

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:04 pm

There's a post up in the Hardware forums about the scientific method that the iRacing anaoraks came up with for calibrating and setting your wheel for the best and most linear feel. I would say it's been a definite improvement for me to use the Logitech settings they suggested. One of the things that always kept me from loving Codemaster's F1 2011 is that the wheel feedback and feel is just so ... wrong. Not that I know what it feels like to drive an F1 car, but I constantly struggle with feel (queue Kimi Raikonen / Jarno Trulli music).

I'd find you a link but I'm at work and the work network blocks iRacing. Whcih is probably for the best! Wink

William Katz - shoot me a friend request too, goes for anyone else who signs up.
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:57 pm

iRacing Facebook page posted a picture of them out in the rain scanning Donington... Twisted Evil

Last edited by HWKII on Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:39 pm

I love it when people don't spell 'Donington' correctly, as I have no idea where the extra 'n' comes from. I guess Brads Hatch is closest, they should watch their signs or something.

Laughing
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:47 pm

clacksman wrote:I love it when people don't spell 'Donington' correctly, as I have no idea where the extra 'n' comes from. I guess Brads Hatch is closest, they should watch their signs or something.

Laughing

lol!

Also:

DriverSports and Iracing MP__Grammar_Nazi_by_ItaniMajere

Laughing
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallhugger60 Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:17 am

Wiz wrote:You can get 6 months free by signing up here - https://www.cadillaccupracing.com/ What you actually get to play with is limited but if you've always wanted to try iRacing but never wanted to fork over the cash, this is a deal that obviously can't be beat. I signed up on Saturday myself. Very Happy

What do you actually get when you sign up. Is it just the one car? They have a buy 1 month get 2 free special on their web site right now. Still haven't done it lol.

Wall
Wallhugger60
Wallhugger60

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:14 pm

Off the top of my head

Street stock oval
2 MX-5s
Solstice
Ford spec racer
Cadillac cts-v race car
2 legends cars

Limerock
Laguna
Okayama
Skidpad
Summit point

OVALS;
Lanier
Charlotte with road course
USA International 3/4 mile oval

This is the deal I signed up with http://www.iracing.com/half-off/

Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  RackAttack Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:20 pm

My new Macbook should hopefully arrive within a week, I'm planning on joining iRacing when it does. First purchase will be Silverstone Circuit.

Unrelated: I'm going to try and join ya'll for the Cappi race on Friday night. My ClubSport Wheel + BMW Rim came on Monday, and I'm itching to break it in with a good ol' fashioned DSO race!
RackAttack
RackAttack

Back to top Go down

Post  AgentWD40_FL Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:34 pm

RackAttack wrote:Unrelated: I'm going to try and join ya'll for the Cappi race on Friday night. My ClubSport Wheel + BMW Rim came on Monday, and I'm itching to break it in with a good ol' fashioned DSO race!

Congrats on your GTA success Rack. We sure are proud of you around these parts ... DriverSports and Iracing 424776184 Hope to see you on the track soon, just so you can intimidate the bezeesus out of me. lol!
AgentWD40_FL
AgentWD40_FL

Back to top Go down

Post  Wiz Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:01 pm

Forgetful wrote:Off the top of my head

Street stock oval
2 MX-5s
Solstice
Ford spec racer
Cadillac cts-v race car
2 legends cars

Limerock
Laguna
Okayama
Skidpad
Summit point

OVALS;
Lanier

This is the deal I signed up with http://www.iracing.com/half-off/

Pretty much this. I think Mid-Ohio & Infineon are in there as well.
Wiz
Wiz

Back to top Go down

Post  robiker Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:19 pm

Signed-up a couple of days ago. Should be graduating out of rookie status next week.

Name is Robert Beck if you want to add me.
robiker
robiker

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:26 pm

FReq sent

Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Goes_To_11 Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:30 am

Wiz wrote:
Forgetful wrote:Off the top of my head

Street stock oval
2 MX-5s
Solstice
Ford spec racer
Cadillac cts-v race car
2 legends cars

Limerock
Laguna
Okayama
Skidpad
Summit point

OVALS;
Lanier

This is the deal I signed up with

Pretty much this. I think Mid-Ohio & Infineon are in there as well.

The free 6 month cadillac trial has all the basic tracks plus mid-ohio, infineon and mosport so you can race in the Cadillac event. Tracks are something like $12-$15 so it is a great deal.

Goes_To_11

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:36 pm

There are always deals to be had. Seems like if you walked in and paid full price you didn't look very hard. Once you get to D class and above you even earn credits (up to $40/year) that you can use for your membership and/or content. They're now offering members a 2 year renewal for 99 dollars. Also, if you're going to sign up ask someone for the email address they signed up with so you can give them the referral. Thanks to wall I have a 10.00 credit! swarcup@live.ca Smile

Buy your DLC in bunches. You get 10% off if you get 3 items or more, 20% off 6 or more and 25% off if you buy e'rthing at once.

So, after 10 days on iRacing I've graduated out of the rookie road racing division in 13 races (and some TTs and Q sessions which count as well). I've got two wins, 9 top 5s and I've lead 249 laps.

My oval career has been a little rougher going, but I'm on my way up. Week 1 at Charlotte had me doing well, but the tracks change weekly and this time we're at USA international, the 3/4 mile short track. With 15 rookies out there it can be hard to avoid contact. But it's cheap fun and as the week progressed people started wising up. Hoping to get out of rookie oval today. So far 42 races, 4 wins and 16 top 5s.

I don't know if you know this about me but I'm kind of a stats and ratings whore. Embarassed

Couple of tips: The blue light on the bottom bar lets you know if you have friends request or PM. The PMs are linked to the iRacing forum, so it's kind of a minor hassle to send the first one.

Races are auto-sorted by rankings and connections (kinda like prologue, but so much better), so we can't just hop in to a race together unless participation is thin and there's only one division. If we're close on stats we'll likely be put together, but since everything is ranked they obviously don't want people manipulating the system. The official Practice sessions are un-scored against your SR, official qualifying session do score against it. Those are two places where we can easily find eachother on track (road racing anyway, Q'ing in oval is a solo 4 lap session).

Once you've got someone on your Friends List you can see their activity on the green myracers button on the bottom bar. If you're registerred and waiting for a race your friends can follow you in from there. You can even go watch them if the race is underway.

Private, or 'Hosted' events, as they call them, cost money to host. $1/cr for 2hrs, $2/cr for 4hrs, $3/cr for 6hrs. Host can set any and all parameters. You can also host private tournaments and they have a League racing section coming soon.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Goes_To_11 Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:03 pm

Someone on my friend's list seems to be always racing Smile

I've only done 4 races, all road. 100% top 5 finishes even though I started from pit lane 3 times. 1.5 incidents per race. Getting close to graduating to D license.

Forgetful, how do you like oval racing compared to road? Oval has never interested me but I'll probably give it a try sometime.

Overall I'm pretty hooked on the game and I'm thinking of taking the two year renewal deal (or I may wait until Black Friday deals).

Goes_To_11

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:40 pm

It was Prologue that warmed me up to oval racing, and like I said, it really is cheap fun. I've actually even been watching some NASCAR this year so I have more of an appreciation for what's going on. There's a lot of tense action, you're never far from another car and when the laps start getting thin the heart rate goes up, just like in road racing. It's no great driving challenge, but going fast isn't easy either.

Short track racing is really just the simplest form of road racing. Your braking, turn in points and throttle pick-up are crucial and it's not easy to pull off a pass.

I was looking at your stats and I'm not gonna lie, I was a little jealous. You've definitely gone about it the right way. I've still got some of that video game mentality to shake and I also have to remember, when I'm in a close race, that I don't have the amount of experience with iRacing as I do with GT, so I shouldn't be pushing the limits as much as I do racing GT... yet. I did get really racey with a guy at Okayama last night in the MX-5s, and we didn't have any incidents.

Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Goes_To_11 Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:22 pm

And I'm jealous of your wins and laps led. I got the advice at the beginning that the goal of rookie was just to get out of rookie and to drive as safe as possible so that's what I've been working on. I've also managed to get lucky a few times in missing collisions that have happened in front of me. You'll have a higher irating going into next season which should get you into higher and hopefully cleaner splits.

Goes_To_11

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallhugger60 Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:36 pm

Well I just spent an hour tryin it out...interesting to say the least. Never had much use for computer games but this seems pretty good. Game runs well fer sher. Of course I ran Lime Rock lol. Fwiw, the car that's the closest to a Spec Miata is the Solstice. Handles close to the same. Gearbox used 2nd is 1st and so on was pretty close. 4th gear hits about top speed you'd get in 5th in a SM. 1:01's after around ten laps. Wierd playin on a laptop screen lol. Need another HDMI cable to jump to the TV. The other thing that was strange was that I felt the same anxiety as driving the real car. Driving in car made it all the more realistic. I don't normally drive that way in GT. Have to do some FR's and see how you guys are doin.

Wall
Wallhugger60
Wallhugger60

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:39 pm

Real name Wall? I'll send FR Very Happy

And welcome Smile

Last edited by HWKII on Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallhugger60 Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Tracy Wilkerson and tracy.wilkerson@comcast.net if you need that.

Wall
Wallhugger60
Wallhugger60

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:45 pm

FR sent!

Just finished a race 8th in the Miata after the obligatory 'tow and pit' resulting from someone going off on the inside of the last corner, then driving straight across the track trying to cover up on the pit straight. Square in to my back right wheel, wall, chance for glory over. Was running quite well at the time.

When signing up for iRacing, I remember it saying "wheel required" and I thought, oh, cool, at least the only people playing will be people who want to make that investment and have good control of their cars. Finding out that a lot of people are getting around that by using DS3/XBox controllers plugged in to their PCs. Kind of a pity, the game should be able to tell the difference, might be good to sort the divisions (splits, as iRacing calls them) by wheel vs controller. Controller driver might be reasonably quick but... I don't want to spend any time in traffic with them! Mad Laughing
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next