DriverSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 pm by Forgetful

» DriverSports as a Race Team
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 2:56 pm by Rooster722

» DriverSports Rule Book - GT6
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 12:38 am by Forgetful

» The DriverSports Championship Series
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 pm by Forgetful

» The DriverSports World Series
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 3:21 pm by Forgetful

» Welcome to DriveSports.org
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 2:37 pm by Forgetful

» The Global Production Car Challenge
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 8:22 pm by Forgetful

» Moved to Alberta, took a new job
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 8:52 am by Forgetful

» Sportscars 2014 general
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 8:38 pm by group44

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."

+20
robiker
redsoxboy80
DudeTuna
SWERV_GRIFFIN
Wiz
Redrkt
AgentWD40_FL
RackAttack
no_affiliations
jochenrindt
ooty
ttourist
group44
timneyb
vkaifh
Wallhugger60
Revengel
clacksman
Forgetful
HWKII
24 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 6 Empty Re: The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."

Post  clacksman Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:30 am

clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 6 Empty Re: The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."

Post  Forgetful Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:24 pm

Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:41 pm

Lies, my Ferrari 330 P4 coming out of the esses at Le Mans is better looking than that. Well, it's not as shiny and crisp and wrong as the FM4 picture, but it's far more likely to make you go "Wait.. virtual?". Your signature image is another example, Forgetful, of a significantly more realistic photograph of a virtual world.

Many of the images I've seen any of our photographers post from GT5 look much better, more realistic, than that picture.
HWKII
HWKII

http://www.driversports.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:51 pm

Which is why I spammed them with my 34 best pictures Smile

http://jalopnik.com/5891279/whats-the-best-virtual-car-photo?comment=47715858#comments

It's their Question of the day, so they're looking for submissions.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  RackAttack Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:16 am

Ugh... spent almost three hours tonight diagnosing/fixing my pedals.

Yesterday the brake started dragging a bit on my ClubSports. I took it apart to find that the little metal dowel at the base of the brake pedal had not been fully through the slot for some time, and had worn down the dowel and the hole that it goes through.

I fixed it up (for the most part) and re-lubed everything and the brake was still dragging, but even worse, now I was getting completely bogus brake inputs.

I took it apart again and found that I had torn the insulation around the wires going to the load cell sensor, so I assume the wires are touching each other and giving horribly wrong signals. Shit....

I can order order a new load cell from Fanatec ($15 + $17 shipping), but before I do I'm going to see if I can get one of the guys at work who knows how to souder to fix it.

So, the ClubSports are broken for the time being, might as well dust off the old G25 pedals and use them (with the Fanatec/g25 pedal adapter) for the time being. Well, the whole reason I got new pedals was because the g25 pedals were dragging (both brake and gas).

I plugged them in, saw that only the gas was dragging. I know how to fix that by filing down the little plastic thingy, so I took them apart and did that.

I also noticed that the gas pedal was not registering full throttle with the pedal fully depressed. That's a harder thing to fix. I tried various things, but in the end I used a hammer on the bottom of the pedal bracket to allow it to travel just a bit further (I would've filed/grinded it down if I had the appropriate tools, but I don't). That more or less worked and now I get what looks like 99.5% throttle... close enough I guess.

So now I'm back up and running, but switching back to a potentiometer brake after using a load cell brake for so long is proving a bit difficult.

If you actually read all of that, I'm sorry for wasting your time. I just felt the need to chronicle how I wasted the last three hours of my life.

Bed time.
RackAttack
RackAttack

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:20 am

wave LOL Rack, that sucks. On the other hand, the 0.5% throttle travel you don't get means more human-like times, which is good news for anyone racing you! Wink

Good luck getting those pedals sorted, would suck to have to buy a new load cell, isn't that thing like less than a year old?
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  RackAttack Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:07 pm

Moral of the story is, if you're taking your ClubSport pedals apart, detach the load cell sensor wire first!
RackAttack
RackAttack

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:10 pm

Would you happen to be able to snap a couple of pics so I know what to watch for?
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  RackAttack Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:35 pm

Forgetful wrote:Would you happen to be able to snap a couple of pics so I know what to watch for?

Here's the load cell unit removed from the black rectangle thing. It's held in with two set screws, one on each side. Just loosen one of those and it slides right out (but you shouldn't ever need to).
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 6 Photo_16

The wire comes out the top and connects with a three pin clip to the circuit board that's under the brake tuning knob. You just need to disconnect that before you take things apart. Otherwise, when you flip it over (as Thomas does in the video) and rotate the bar back that the black rectangle thing pivots on, the first thing that stops it from rotating more is that wire if it's still connected.

Here's what happens if you don't. You can see the exposed wires.
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 6 Photo_18
RackAttack
RackAttack

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:43 pm

I meant pics of the dowel, but that's handy too.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  RackAttack Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:09 pm

Forgetful wrote:I meant pics of the dowel, but that's handy too.

I'm at work, but here's a pic from the web that I added arrows and circles to. The red arrows point to the dowel in question. Make sure that it's flush with the brake pedal on both sides, and make sure the set screw (circled in green) is tight to keep it from moving side to side.

Mine had worked it's way out of the hole on one side, and so it was only being held by the other side. As you could imagine, that cause a lot of extra friction on both the hole and the dowel, and both are now damaged. I think that's also why my brake was dragging after I fixed it. The dowel only being in one hole meant that the "plunger" could be push slightly farther, exerting less force on the load cell. Now that it's properly in both holes, with no brake pedal pressure there is slightly more force on the load cell.

This picture is of the back of the brake pedal. The pedals are disassembled which is why there's no spring on the "plunger".
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 6 Csp-br10
RackAttack
RackAttack

Back to top Go down

Post  RackAttack Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:22 pm

Another 1.5hrs of pedal work last night, and I finally have 100% throttle.

This is ttourist's picture, I'm just going to use the names that he uses for things.
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 6 PedalSpringPicNixim-1-2

Originally it was the bottom of the "pedal lever" that was hitting the "pedal base" and stopping the pedal from traveling further, so I hammered it down more, and carved more off other plastic piece that was hitting. With only that part assembled I was getting 100% throttle. Then I put " piston" back on and I was getting 99% again. Turns out the piston was too long and hitting the inside of the "cylinder", keeping the pedal from traveling further. I took a hacksaw to the end of the "piston" to allow it to travel further into the cylinder, and now we're good to go!

Also, the load cell for my ClubSports was unrecoverable, so I ordered the new one and it will hopefully arrive quickly. I have re-acclimated to potentiometer braking fairly quickly though.
RackAttack
RackAttack

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:15 pm

Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:26 pm

There are two ways to field a succesful racing team, apparently:
Method 1) Spend hundreds of thousands, even millions of dollars, testing and developing a car for the upcoming FIA GT1 season. Work closely for days and weeks on end with the manufacturer in the wind tunnels to ensure that every possible lb of airflow is being directed over the surface producing maximum downforce for minimal drag. Spend sleepless nights without count, hoping that all of your hardwork pays off.

OR

Method 2) Pick up a copy of GT5, get a pretend McLaren, paint it "Matt Black" (sic), put all the GT Aero parts on it. Take a screenshot in photomode. Hand it to over to some guys and tell them "Do this." Profit.

Laughing Laughing
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:47 pm

Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  RackAttack Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:19 pm

RackAttack
RackAttack

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:52 pm

... you're ... you're fast?

WE HAD NO IDEA

clown
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:55 pm

Rack wins. Yawn. Smile
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:31 pm

Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:34 pm

Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:59 pm

For those of you not familiar with the 24 hours of LeMons (Read it again, yes, spelled correctly.) it's a 24 hour Endurance Race put on, pitting teams of 4-6 drivers against one another in the best car they can field for less than $500 (not including the mandatory safety equipment). The Rules and Prices page is quite an amusing read. Very Happy

While talking about it with a friend of mine here at work, I have come up with a brilliant idea...

LMonP cars... think Red Bull Flugtag meets the 24 hours of Lemons... field a car that you have to develop yourself for $500 maximum. Donations allowed from various people who think you're insane, but also hope you die in a fiery crash, and don't count against the total cost, but under their BSF regulations, you'd really need to prove that you designed this whole Prototype for $500. Best. Idea. Ever.

Incidentally... 24 hours of Lemons sounds about like the most fun it is possible to have in a 1 day period of time. What a Face Driversports.org get-together material! Very Happy
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:37 pm

The online dealer got updated with Alfa Romeos last week, get them if you haven't yet.

Seasonal Time Trials and offline Top Speed Test add distance to your odometer but do not break your car in.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallhugger60 Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:21 pm

Well if everything goes right, this should be in my driveway Saturday around lunchtime Very Happy

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 6 OurZ-1
Wallhugger60
Wallhugger60

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:30 pm

Oooooo..... ahhhhhh..... Niiiiice Smile

Needs a roof, wing and some BBS' (and a different/silly paint job every week)
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 6 Bern-MarketStreet_12
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  AgentWD40_FL Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:03 pm

pretty sweet wall. can i have a ride? Cool
AgentWD40_FL
AgentWD40_FL

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next