DriverSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

October 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."
Gran Turismo News and Information - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 pm by Forgetful

» DriverSports as a Race Team
Gran Turismo News and Information - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 2:56 pm by Rooster722

» DriverSports Rule Book - GT6
Gran Turismo News and Information - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 12:38 am by Forgetful

» The DriverSports Championship Series
Gran Turismo News and Information - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 pm by Forgetful

» The DriverSports World Series
Gran Turismo News and Information - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 3:21 pm by Forgetful

» Welcome to DriveSports.org
Gran Turismo News and Information - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 2:37 pm by Forgetful

» The Global Production Car Challenge
Gran Turismo News and Information - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 8:22 pm by Forgetful

» Moved to Alberta, took a new job
Gran Turismo News and Information - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 8:52 am by Forgetful

» Sportscars 2014 general
Gran Turismo News and Information - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 8:38 pm by group44

Gran Turismo News and Information

+13
vkaifh
MasterGT
redsoxboy80
Rooster722
group44
robiker
RackAttack
mmacek96
HWKII
timneyb
clacksman
Revengel
Forgetful
17 posters

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Gran Turismo News and Information - Page 11 Empty Re: Gran Turismo News and Information

Post  timneyb Thu May 16, 2013 3:00 pm

Forgetful wrote:I'm ever optimistic, but I don't see anything regarding online functionality and control over the cars allowed and how they're built. With so many cars, with so many parts, they need a car-by-car 'rule book' that you can modify to create a decent ballance of performance among a group of cars.

I'll buy it, play the shit out of it and maybe even race it online. Shame I probably won't be able to use my wicked new peripherals.

All this.

Maybe "users being able to configure their events" will provide just what we had always wanted, but, probably not.

It's so pretty though (on $300 hardware, might I add). And has so many pretty cars. Want GT's graphics engine and car selection with iRacing's everything else, please.

timneyb

http://www.gtdata.net

Back to top Go down

Gran Turismo News and Information - Page 11 Empty Re: Gran Turismo News and Information

Post  Forgetful Thu May 16, 2013 3:21 pm

timneyb wrote:
Forgetful wrote:I'm ever optimistic, but I don't see anything regarding online functionality and control over the cars allowed and how they're built. With so many cars, with so many parts, they need a car-by-car 'rule book' that you can modify to create a decent ballance of performance among a group of cars.

I'll buy it, play the shit out of it and maybe even race it online. Shame I probably won't be able to use my wicked new peripherals.

All this.

Maybe "users being able to configure their events" will provide just what we had always wanted, but, probably not.

It's so pretty though (on $300 hardware, might I add). And has so many pretty cars. Want GT's graphics engine and car selection with iRacing's everything else, please.

Asetto Corsa might get there. Delayed till Late '13, early '14. No promises on the depth of the online features, but the physics and graphics should be top of the line.

PCars will probably not be a full sim, physics-wise, but will look good.

RFactor2 is going to have a subscription based online side. No idea how involved though.

iRacing has a significant headstart down the organized racing path. Might be hard to overcome the establishment.

As much as I'd want a ranking system in GT, it would just get abused by gamers.

You would pretty much have to steal iRacing's licensing format for any sim ranking system.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Thu May 16, 2013 3:52 pm

Forgetful wrote:
As much as I'd want a ranking system in GT, it would just get abused by gamers.

You would pretty much have to steal iRacing's licensing format for any sim ranking system.

For an auto-licensing system iRacing is not bad, and probably hard to beat. It doesn't stop all the over-aggression, but without micro-managing your own league, with volunteer officials, like we did, that's hard to thoroughly police.

Smaller hurdles than that need to be overcome by GT though. Online stability made online features and league construction almost irrelevant.

If only stability was there, I relished the idea of season on season car balancing in a multicar structure. I had such a good idea for a car-draft (lowest ranked has first pick of a finite number of approximately balanced cars) followed by data collection over the season used for re-performance balancing for the next season. But it needed stability (fail) and participation (fail) and parts restriction (fail).

timneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Thu May 16, 2013 5:12 pm

HWKII wrote:GT6 = GT5 + ~200 Premium Cars

+~100 not ~200. GT5 has 1100.

RackAttack wrote:Jordan's .gtplanet.net definitely seems excited about it,

His (profitable) website depends primarily on GT for traffic; he's the last person who will say anything bad about it lest he dangers his favored-by-PD position.

iRacing is worth the sub fees just for the licensing/SR system. Could be stolen with different terms by any dev, but GT doesn't even know where the sides of the cars or tracks are so I doubt they're going in that direction at all.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  SpecMiata-JSW Thu May 16, 2013 9:01 pm

I know I have been quiet lately, so take my comments as a grain of salt; or how ever that statement goes. I'm also partially drunk because I had dinner and drinks with the infamous RickS95 tonight. Very Happy

We discussed iRacing vs. GT5/6 and how we are concerned about about online connectivity, and also how GT6 could possibly push the limits of the PS3 when it could barely handle GT5. iRacing has spoiled me with it's stability, plain and simple and Rick now knows this; and the only way I see PD fixing their server issues is to offer a subscription like Forza and iRacing does to promote servers that are specifically dedicated to the sim. I can't see how they will ever have the stability of iRacing on a shared server network.

On another note, I know Jordan personally as we have met a couple different times at Petit Le Mans in Georgia, and in person he is as human and critical of GT and PD as all of us are. He uses GTP as an income (and look where it's gotten him), but he bleeds GT and understand it's shortcomings as we all do. Like us he dreams of a sim that combines the online function-ability of iRacing with the graphics and car count of GT. Unfortunately there isn't a single solution for now; so we are forced to jump around to the sim of the month.

That's my $.02 and I'm buzzed, so sorry if I rambled or had too many run on sentences. jocolor
SpecMiata-JSW
SpecMiata-JSW

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Thu May 16, 2013 10:07 pm

Having now seen the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM-8_N8gcaw

The KTM X-bow and whatever that open wheel thing is is super damn interesting. And, new tracks are always good.
Tesla sedan? Ferrari Dino? Alright, would rock.
Audi S1 quattro? How about fix rally.
Oh look a GT-R.

.... meh?
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Thu May 16, 2013 10:31 pm

That catfish-faced, street legal, yamaha motorcycle engined, open wheeled goodness is the Light Car Company (LCC) Rocket, designed by Gordon Murray.

Gran Turismo News and Information - Page 11 Rocketmain
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Thu May 16, 2013 10:47 pm

I'm starting to get the feeling there are more things I'm not looking forward to than things I am...

Lots of new cars. I like new cars and even if we'd stuck with GT5, they haven't gotten any recently.

New aero parts. I am a sucker for a little customization.

"Players can create their own personalised custom car in the game." Shirley, this isn't custom painting, is it? Can't be and not getting my hopes up there.

'Race Organizer' could be the kind of rule book function we'd want, but I'm skeptical.

License tests, I am looking forward too most of them. I am not looking forward to some of them. That process could be modernized.

Single player events. Ugh, the grind.

Used car dealership. Ugh, THE GRIND.

Special events. The horror of being forced to pass 15 cars in some ridiculously short number of laps.

I mean, it's not like I can just leave a platinum trophy on the table. Neutral
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Fri May 17, 2013 8:31 am

LCC Rocket gud - only name I could come up with was Ariel Atom which I knew was wrong.

Aero parts - 'thousands of parts on almost all cars' could technically be said about GT5 (standard cars x the 3 rear wings = more than 2000 combos).

Race Organizer could just be an offline event maker (sorely lacking in 5, just the one-make races can be made in practice)

License tests were screwed up in 5 - they no longer held you out of events if you didn't have one (that was done by the poorly-curved leveling system) so they can be TOSSED. But no we'll grind 'em 12 seconds at a time in search of where to slam brakes to stop in the zone ...

DO Not Want to play through GT4s A-spec events again.

Don't really mind the UCD, just let me skip the Bleep! animations there and in GTAuto THERES 1200 CARS THEYRE NOT ALL THIS SPECIAL DAMNIT. PS premium 4 lyfe y0

Need some re-doable rally events, an AI fixing, ...

clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Fri May 17, 2013 10:22 am

You had me at open wheeled, road legal car designed by Gordon Murray. bounce

If the user interface for GT6 is not dramatically improved over GT5... They could do nothing else to the game, but if they don't figure out that their silly Gabriel Knight puzzle of a User Interface needs revamping I will commit crimes of murder. Mad
HWKII
HWKII

http://www.driversports.org

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Fri May 17, 2013 1:24 pm

HWKII wrote:If the user interface for GT6 is not dramatically improved over GT5... They could do nothing else to the game, but if they don't figure out that their silly Gabriel Knight puzzle of a User Interface needs revamping I will commit crimes of murder. Mad

Yeah, the GTLife page looks like the new google+ ffs. Seriously, though, it'll be tough to simplify it that much with the options depth it has to deal with. Necessary evils, etc.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Fri May 17, 2013 1:28 pm

In terms of layout and function though, I feel like PD consistently misses the trick. Instead of a fun, interactive experience, or a stark and functional menu system, we usually end up with a stark and non functional, semi immersive interactive and slow ass menu system. Embarassed
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Fri May 17, 2013 3:30 pm

HWKII wrote: slow ass menu system. Embarassed

This was the only bit that actually irked me.

timneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Sat May 18, 2013 1:04 am

timneyb wrote:
HWKII wrote: slow ass menu system. Embarassed

This was the only bit that actually irked me.

Not the "oh that's above that so I should press the up arrow... no that... took me over there, ok maybe left... no now that's down... huh... Select?" menu navigation? Laughing
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Sat May 18, 2013 3:00 pm

clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Mon May 20, 2013 9:39 pm

As far as I'm concerned, the single most important development I haven't yet read anything about is the FFB quality. I hope that GT5 wasn't 'all we can get' out of the PS3 re: FFB. Neutral
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Tue May 21, 2013 10:02 am

I think you've missed one medium and one minor FFB update.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Tue May 21, 2013 12:46 pm

clacksman wrote:I think you've missed one medium and one minor FFB update.

Go onnnnn.... is gud?
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Tue May 21, 2013 12:54 pm

The 'medium' one (a while ago to say the least) was pretty noticeably better. The minor update (since 2.x) helped a bit, more for cars themselves than the FFB.

*shrug*

If'n yer fixin yer PS3, try 'er out ...
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:34 pm

lol Deltawing
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:09 pm

GT3 goodness.

timneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:09 am

Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:44 am

That suspension travel. I feel dirty.

timneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:09 am

2nding dat GT3 and deltawing
dat Eiger long
dat Willow Springs

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggg
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  SpecMiata-JSW Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:12 am

The Delta Wing offends me as much virtually as it does in real life.

I shall wreck it in anger. Laughing
SpecMiata-JSW
SpecMiata-JSW

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next