DriverSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

September 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."
DriverSports and Iracing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 pm by Forgetful

» DriverSports as a Race Team
DriverSports and Iracing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 2:56 pm by Rooster722

» DriverSports Rule Book - GT6
DriverSports and Iracing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 12:38 am by Forgetful

» The DriverSports Championship Series
DriverSports and Iracing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 pm by Forgetful

» The DriverSports World Series
DriverSports and Iracing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 3:21 pm by Forgetful

» Welcome to DriveSports.org
DriverSports and Iracing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 2:37 pm by Forgetful

» The Global Production Car Challenge
DriverSports and Iracing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 8:22 pm by Forgetful

» Moved to Alberta, took a new job
DriverSports and Iracing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 8:52 am by Forgetful

» Sportscars 2014 general
DriverSports and Iracing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 8:38 pm by group44

DriverSports and Iracing

+14
the_saint8
SpecMiata-JSW
vkaifh
timneyb
Rooster722
Goes_To_11
robiker
AgentWD40_FL
RackAttack
Wallhugger60
clacksman
Wiz
HWKII
Forgetful
18 posters

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

DriverSports and Iracing - Page 10 Empty Re: DriverSports and Iracing

Post  vkaifh Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:39 pm

I love the 'Watch' feature of iRacing. Just watched Ben and Thomas battleing it out for 2nd while enjoying a cool beer. Very Happy

So much better than TV popcorn
vkaifh
vkaifh

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:42 pm

vkaifh wrote:I love the 'Watch' feature of iRacing. Just watched Ben and Thomas battleing it out for 2nd while enjoying a cool beer. Very Happy

So much better than TV popcorn

Battling it out as to not wreck each other Smile Stupid 2 off tracks, but yay for D license.

timneyb

http://www.gtdata.net

Back to top Go down

Post  vkaifh Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:55 am

looks like the way championship points are determined will change with season 4:

This will change in Season 4 -- as a result of a recent poll. Basically, we will be going to best of 4 basically (after 4 races, and THEN the races will start averaging). I That will make it easier to race more without losing points:

Average top score of the top 25% of your races for week: For example if you raced 4 times, best 1 would count; raced 5 to 8 times and average of best 2 would count; raced 9 to 12 times and average of best 3 would count.

http://www.iracing.com/inracingnews/iracing-news/i...points-scoring-poll-2-now-open

that is actually in my favor as I like to repeat the same race multiple times to get the max. fun out of my preparation for a combo. Thumbs Up!
vkaifh
vkaifh

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:04 pm

So if I read that correcltly that should be an improvement - allowing the guys who generally aim for the highest SoF to also run 3 additional races without destroying their average. Good change is good?
HWKII
HWKII

http://www.driversports.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallhugger60 Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:51 pm

My account will run out in 8 as I only did the 3 month thing. Any specials out there I don't know about for re-uppin at a good price? The year for 99 is pretty good, just wonderin if there's anything else.

Wall
Wallhugger60
Wallhugger60

Back to top Go down

Post  vkaifh Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Wallhugger60 wrote:My account will run out in 8 as I only did the 3 month thing. Any specials out there I don't know about for re-uppin at a good price? The year for 99 is pretty good, just wonderin if there's anything else.

Wall

there is a whole thread about promo codes on gtplanet:
promo code on gtplanet

not sure if there is something for renewals but post 128 in that thread talks about Black Friday specials with a one year subscription for half.
vkaifh
vkaifh

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallhugger60 Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:59 am

vkaifh wrote:
Wallhugger60 wrote:My account will run out in 8 as I only did the 3 month thing. Any specials out there I don't know about for re-uppin at a good price? The year for 99 is pretty good, just wonderin if there's anything else.

Wall

there is a whole thread about promo codes on gtplanet:
promo code on gtplanet

not sure if there is something for renewals but post 128 in that thread talks about Black Friday specials with a one year subscription for half.

Well I couldn't wait till November as my account is due in 5 days so I did the year for $99. Thought about the 2 year, but things change too quickly and who knows what we'll be doing inna year Smile.

So given the amount I race, and I just finished the D requirements and should be getting C (not sure when), if I were to buy a track and car, what do you guys think would be the best right now. The only track that's not original is Watkins Glen, and all my cars are standard. I was thinkin Mid Ohio, and no clue for a car.

Wall
Wallhugger60
Wallhugger60

Back to top Go down

Post  vkaifh Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:13 pm

First I would buy six at a time to get the 20% discount and then I would focus on one series and buy all tracks needed.
Second I would not focus on succeeding with license levels. There's plenty to do with a c license.

I haven't completely made up my mind but most likely I will do the SRF series. It will be painful and I will lose a lot of iRating but I believe it will make me a better driver.

Typing on an iPhone is painful too.
vkaifh
vkaifh

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:09 pm

Like I said before, I found that I could run 4 series a week.

I'm gonna stick with the Mustang Challenge, and I might go for both the Daytona Prototype and the Mustang in the Grand Am series. (assuming the Mustang is still the 'GT' car for that class) You get an award for running all 12 weeks in all classes of a Multi-Class series.

I might still haunt the Grand Touring Cup, but in the Jetta.

I'm thinking either SRF or Skippy for a MR, throttle oversteer experience.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallhugger60 Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:52 pm

vkaifh wrote:First I would buy six at a time to get the 20% discount and then I would focus on one series and buy all tracks needed.
Second I would not focus on succeeding with license levels. There's plenty to do with a c license.

I haven't completely made up my mind but most likely I will do the SRF series. It will be painful and I will lose a lot of iRating but I believe it will make me a better driver.

Typing on an iPhone is painful too.

Well my budget says 1 car and 1 track fer now lol. I was only mentioning the D license cuz I fulfilled the requirements.

Wall

Last edited by Wallhugger60 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mis spelled my)
Wallhugger60
Wallhugger60

Back to top Go down

Post  vkaifh Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:57 pm

iRacing published a preliminary schedule for season 4:
preliminary season 4 schedule
vkaifh
vkaifh

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:15 pm

lol, they actually called the Lotus 49 series 'Gran Prix Legends'

It's my copyright and I'll infringe on it if I want.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  SpecMiata-JSW Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:45 pm

Season 3 Mustang schedule. Cut + Paste = Season 4. Razz
SpecMiata-JSW
SpecMiata-JSW

Back to top Go down

Post  Goes_To_11 Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:15 pm

clacksman wrote:
HWKII wrote:My start procedure in the Miata is to leave it in N, and rev up the engine a bit when the lights come up, then drop it in to 1st when they go green. The game will allow you to shift in to 1st gear as soon as the 'Time to grid' timer reaches 0:00. You can see it in the upper right hand corner of the 'F1' black box. If you jump the start, you're black flagged and have to pit in for a stop and go. Be sure to uncheck your tires and fuel refill, or else that penalty is way worse.

If I put it in 1st before green lights, I can't apply any throttle or it goes forward enough to give me the jump start penalty even if I'm hard on the brake (attempting to hold it) because of the autoclutch. So yeah some revs when the lights go red, and reflex it into 1st when they go green (NOT just when someone else goes silent ).

F4 for fuel, space to uncheck. F5 for tires, space to uncheck, down arrow for nest tire, space to uncheck that one, etc.

I have some of those keys mapped to my G25 buttons. My pre-race checklist after getting on the grid is to first press tab on the keyboard, then put the keyboard down, then use my G25 buttons to uncheck tires and uncheck fuel. I found that after upgrading my computer that I'm one of the first to pop up on the practice session and on the grid so I'm never rushed. I think the SSD has a lot to do with that. I never had to pit in Rookie but got into a couple of incidents after spending a couple of months away. I paid the price for not having unchecked fuel and tires.

Goes_To_11

Back to top Go down

Post  Goes_To_11 Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:20 pm

Had a bizarre race last night at the IRN challenge in the Mazda. Goes to show that you should finish your races no matter how bleak it looks. This is the write up that I posted at iracing:

Bizarre race last night. I didn't qualify this week and started the race in fourth position with the #1 car on pole, then #6 and #4. Got through the first two corners fine. On turn three, the #1 car dropped a wheel off at the turn entrance and wiped out. That left the #4, #6 and then me. #6 appeared to be relatively slow so I was trying to figure out how to pass him. At the top of the hill at turn 7, I end up going off. I still don't understand why. Maybe I was paying too much attention to the car in front; maybe the coffee I had before messed up my coordination. Whatever the reason, I ended up rejoining the race in last. The next lap, I go off again just temporarily but cut enough of a corner for the game to tell me to slow down so I lost even more time. So by the end of lap 2, I had dug myself quite the hole.

Slowly, I worked my way up the field. Eventually, I was running in 4th (3rd in class) and caught up to the #5 car. If I remember correctly, I was running about 1.7-2s behind for a while. I'm not sure if he made a mistake but I caught up to him and he let me pass on the straight. Not sure why, we could have had a decent race to the end and there was no way that I was going to catch up to the first car in our class. He was over 20s in the lead. I even went wide on one more corner and he didn't challenge for position. Not long after, I passed the Solstice that was running 2nd overall, 1rst in class. So I ended up going from 3rd to 11th and back up to 2nd in one race. Despite 3 significant mistakes on my part, I ended up getting only 3 incidence points. Strange race.

Goes_To_11

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:31 pm

Are there any promo codes in effect for iRacing at the moment? My membership expired a couple of weeks ago, but I (almost) have a place to drive again.

timneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  Goes_To_11 Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:29 pm

There are always codes for new subscriptions. There is a GTPlanet thread on that. Renewal deals come around less often. I joined in July since then there was one ~50% deal soon after I joined and a ~50% off deal for Black Friday. I don't think there is anything right now.

Goes_To_11

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:17 pm

Oh well, that's what I thought. I'll hold out until I can sit down and drive and hope for something to show up in the mean time., but I'll probably have to cough up full price for a year. I almost jumped on the black Friday deal, but as I could only just walk in the office at that point, I didn't know how much value I was going to get out of it.

timneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  vkaifh Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:34 am

as my first full season with iRacing comes to an end soon I had some thoughts on the cost of my new passion:

annual member ship (with Black Friday deal): $50
annual purchases of tracks and cars: $100
conservative estimate of number of races per year: 150
average race duration: 30 minutes

That adds up to $2/hour of fun. Adding race preparation, time trials and qualifying would make that even less.

Comparison to other activities:
cinema: $8/hour
soccer: $10/hour
skiing: $10/hour (in truth much more expensive but I like to lie to myself)

So even if I add the original purchase of the computer into my calculation iRacing is still my cheapest hobby. Very Happy
vkaifh
vkaifh

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:54 am

Cheaper'n bowling, too. What a Face
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  RackAttack Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:48 pm

Goes_To_11 wrote:There are always codes for new subscriptions. There is a GTPlanet thread on that. Renewal deals come around less often. I joined in July since then there was one ~50% deal soon after I joined and a ~50% off deal for Black Friday. I don't think there is anything right now.

I actually added the 50% off 1 year annual membership to my shopping cart as part of the black friday deal but never completed the check out process. When I got my email a week ago saying my account was about to expire and I needed to renew, the 50% off deal was still in my cart and I just checked out then and still got a year for 50% off. So, I suppose that's a bit of a hack to "save" a good deal when it comes around. The only flaw is that you can't selectively buy things out of your cart, so you can't really buy anything else without buying the renewal.
RackAttack
RackAttack

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:53 pm

RackAttack wrote:
Goes_To_11 wrote:There are always codes for new subscriptions. There is a GTPlanet thread on that. Renewal deals come around less often. I joined in July since then there was one ~50% deal soon after I joined and a ~50% off deal for Black Friday. I don't think there is anything right now.

I actually added the 50% off 1 year annual membership to my shopping cart as part of the black friday deal but never completed the check out process. When I got my email a week ago saying my account was about to expire and I needed to renew, the 50% off deal was still in my cart and I just checked out then and still got a year for 50% off. So, I suppose that's a bit of a hack to "save" a good deal when it comes around. The only flaw is that you can't selectively buy things out of your cart, so you can't really buy anything else without buying the renewal.

lol. That's a bug that'll never get reported.

timneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:38 pm

Damn, I had the deal in my cart but removed it, assuming it was no good
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Just got an email that you can renew for 50% off via an extension of the Cadillac deal.

Code: PRKZ9GGY4MMFMTBMTD2PYRTFE7H

timneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:51 pm

timneyb wrote:Just got an email that you can renew for 50% off via an extension of the Cadillac deal.

Code: PRKZ9GGY4MMFMTBMTD2PYRTFE7H

Invalid. Sad
HWKII
HWKII

http://www.driversports.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next