DriverSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."
Season 3 - Starts 30/07/12 - Page 14 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 pm by Forgetful

» DriverSports as a Race Team
Season 3 - Starts 30/07/12 - Page 14 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 2:56 pm by Rooster722

» DriverSports Rule Book - GT6
Season 3 - Starts 30/07/12 - Page 14 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 12:38 am by Forgetful

» The DriverSports Championship Series
Season 3 - Starts 30/07/12 - Page 14 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 pm by Forgetful

» The DriverSports World Series
Season 3 - Starts 30/07/12 - Page 14 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 3:21 pm by Forgetful

» Welcome to DriveSports.org
Season 3 - Starts 30/07/12 - Page 14 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 2:37 pm by Forgetful

» The Global Production Car Challenge
Season 3 - Starts 30/07/12 - Page 14 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 8:22 pm by Forgetful

» Moved to Alberta, took a new job
Season 3 - Starts 30/07/12 - Page 14 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 8:52 am by Forgetful

» Sportscars 2014 general
Season 3 - Starts 30/07/12 - Page 14 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 8:38 pm by group44

Season 3 - Starts 30/07/12

+8
group44
robiker
clacksman
vkaifh
HWKII
SpecMiata-JSW
RackAttack
Forgetful
12 posters

Page 14 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18 ... 22  Next

Go down

Season 3 - Starts 30/07/12 - Page 14 Empty Re: Season 3 - Starts 30/07/12

Post  clacksman Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:17 pm

timneyb wrote:
clacksman wrote:I don't use clutch and still have to rev-match. Having a clutch and rev-matching are not mutually exclusive.

Not sure if I understand then. What is auto-blip doing then if not boosting revs to match what the incoming next-lowest gear will require?

This is only when I'm downshifting, probably trail braking a bit and only my shift will put the engine close to redline. I assumed the shift was handled smoothly with a blip via the computer, but at high revs off throttle was causing more engine braking on the rear wheels and thus oversteer

For me having auto-blip set on or off makes no difference - if I don't press the throttle during the shift it's the clutch engaging that speeds up the engine on a downshift, which causes some oversteer if I'm turning AT ALL. Watch the little graph on bottom left of screen (mine was on by default, there's a key to turn it on or off which I forget) to get a better idea of what's going on - that shows any clutch/brake/throttle input whether it's you doing it or an assist doing it.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:26 pm

vkaifh wrote:started to test with the MX-5 at Lime Rock; so far my fastest lap is a 1'01.5. This track is much more to my liking than Okayama. I believe I have still room for improvement; but I have to find out how to get over that little hill w/o losing the car every other lap. Crying or Very sad

The uphill section is possible to take flat out but you have to have the car perfectly balanced with no steering-lock when you crest. If you are out of balance at all you are going to spin. Which a glorious place to overtake, because people will always try and outdrive you up that hill if you get the better of them through the esses. Cool
HWKII
HWKII

http://www.driversports.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Auto blip doesn't effect your braking, it just does the blipping for you. As a consequence of that 'aid' they penalize your upshifts.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  RackAttack Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:12 pm

Forgetful wrote:Auto blip doesn't effect your braking, it just does the blipping for you. As a consequence of that 'aid' they penalize your upshifts.

Oh, interesting! That must be documented somewhere that I clearly didn't read. So, if I turn auto-blip off, can I blip the throttle myself when downshifting (without using the clutch) for the same effect, and lose the upshift penalty?
RackAttack
RackAttack

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:14 pm

Correct. 'Auto-clutch' is the option you'll want and is not considered an aid.

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1964652.page#4478038
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  RackAttack Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:25 pm

Do you guys let off the throttle on upshifts, or do you just keep it floored?
RackAttack
RackAttack

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:52 pm

I let off because it sounds dumb to be whacking it off the rev limiter on upshifts.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallhugger60 Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:14 pm

You might want to look at the wheel settings in Windows. Centering spring unchecked helps tame things. I'll double check that when I get home. Thanks to Rooster for that one Smile (Quote from G44)

Definitely makes a difference. G (Andy) and I were talkin about it a little while ago after Roo pm'd me on it and G told me how to do it while we were on TS. I was losin the car 40 % of the time and I told G, if that was real I'd be dead. The 2 Specs I drove there didn't act anything like that. If they had, like I said I'd prolly be dead. My brother in law actually upshifts to 5th at the bottom and hits the top at around 90, and the car does that little wiggle almost every time. Just a little counter steer and he's gone. But that center spring checkoff really does do the trick...thanks Roo Very Happy

Wall
Wallhugger60
Wallhugger60

Back to top Go down

Post  SpecMiata-JSW Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:10 pm

RackAttack wrote:Do you guys let off the throttle on upshifts, or do you just keep it floored?

I stay floored on upshifts and blip on downshifts. It took me weeks to get smooth and I still miss shifts, but it's faster than the full clutch aid, so it's worth it, and helps with immersion IMO.

Here is a whole thread about shifting in the Stang that seems to be popular right now: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/2031960.page
SpecMiata-JSW
SpecMiata-JSW

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:19 pm

Wallhugger60 wrote:You might want to look at the wheel settings in Windows. Centering spring unchecked helps tame things. I'll double check that when I get home. Thanks to Rooster for that one Smile (Quote from G44)

Definitely makes a difference. G (Andy) and I were talkin about it a little while ago after Roo pm'd me on it and G told me how to do it while we were on TS. I was losin the car 40 % of the time and I told G, if that was real I'd be dead. The 2 Specs I drove there didn't act anything like that. If they had, like I said I'd prolly be dead. My brother in law actually upshifts to 5th at the bottom and hits the top at around 90, and the car does that little wiggle almost every time. Just a little counter steer and he's gone. But that center spring checkoff really does do the trick...thanks Roo Very Happy

Wall

This seemed to help a bit, I think, although I didn't turn many laps after changing the setting but before dinner came home. And I'm so low on the learning curve that it's hard to tell what is or isn't changing.

Never seen Lime Rock before, like at all, not even on TV for some reason. Nice track, especially in a car like this. Having more trouble with the one tight left hander in the esses more than most places, oddly enough. I can't go flat through the last corner yet though. I lift and left foot brake just a little while upshifting to fifth, then try to be back on the gas maybe 101-102, trying to look hard at the back end of the inside rumble strip, without touching it.

timneyb

http://www.gtdata.net

Back to top Go down

Post  group44 Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:25 pm

SpecMiata-JSW wrote:I stay floored on upshifts and blip on downshifts. It took me weeks to get smooth and I still miss shifts, but it's faster than the full clutch aid, so it's worth it, and helps with immersion IMO.

I'm with clacksman on this one. Gotta lift on the upshifts as I can't help but hear floating valves and dollar signs Laughing My problem (beyond just plain old not being consistent) with the clutchless downshifts is a can't seem to time the blips right scratch Throw in the clutch and I'm better at matchng revs, but my braking suffers. Gonna be a long process to weed the suck outta that one.

timneyb wrote:This seemed to help a bit, I think, although I didn't turn many laps after changing the setting but before dinner came home. And I'm so low on the learning curve that it's hard to tell what is or isn't changing.

Never seen Lime Rock before, like at all, not even on TV for some reason. Nice track, especially in a car like this. Having more trouble with the one tight left hander in the esses more than most places, oddly enough. I can't go flat through the last corner yet though. I lift and left foot brake just a little while upshifting to fifth, then try to be back on the gas maybe 101-102, trying to look hard at the back end of the inside rumble strip, without touching it.

I hear you on the learning curve. This sims got a big one, but with big rewards imo. First couple of days were spent just figuring out the basics and general operation for me. Judging from your description of the last turn at LRP, something tells me you'll be up to speed in no time.
Did a quick test (just practice, not with a full start grid) extending my desktop to have iRacing on the big screen and iSpeed on the laptop. Did not see any impact on fps or performance in general, but I am running a nvidia GTX 660M, so I didn't expect to see much of a change. I let you know if that changes any under race conditions.
group44
group44

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallhugger60 Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:32 am

The sharp left is a bit tricky. I assume you mean the one before the esses. When I was drivin it the instructors have you stay right longer than you think you should. It feels like you're gonna run off lol. Brake hard straight, then turn left and cut into the left side (inside) rumble strips. One guy told me to invision a corkscrew in that turn. I get it about 75% of the time. Lotta guys I see trail brake thru there, but it's not easy imo. Especially on cold tires or not real hot ones, I'll either spin or go off track left.

Wall
Wallhugger60
Wallhugger60

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:37 am

Wallhugger60 wrote:The sharp left is a bit tricky. I assume you mean the one before the esses. When I was drivin it the instructors have you stay right longer than you think you should. It feels like you're gonna run off lol. Brake hard straight, then turn left and cut into the left side (inside) rumble strips. One guy told me to invision a corkscrew in that turn. I get it about 75% of the time. Lotta guys I see trail brake thru there, but it's not easy imo. Especially on cold tires or not real hot ones, I'll either spin or go off track left.

Wall

That's the corner. I didn't know where the "esses" officially ran. Left right left... figured they just were "esses" from Turn one-two until the hill.

Yep, the trail braking is my problem, and maybe the line too Smile I'm definitely scared of running off right because it looks like there's a lack of camber on the outside, but my problem is getting it out of shape and then often spinning as I brake try to brake and/or turn in at the curbing. I was braking twice. Once down to about 70is for the first part of the corner then again down to a target of maybe 63 at apex (I'm trying to wind up just left of middle track on exit to start setting up for the next right). But it's that second brake that's while steering a little that's hurting.

I'll try a different line and maybe when I learn how to operate everything download a replay.

I was wondering if I'd be better off in the right hand drive Mazda on clockwise tracks? Question

timneyb

http://www.gtdata.net

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:36 am

group44 wrote: My problem (beyond just plain old not being consistent) with the clutchless downshifts is a can't seem to time the blips right scratch

Shifts are delayed a bit for me up or down (H-pattern, no clutch). Blip timing took me a couple weeks.

Lime Rock esses are the one left and the one following right. For the left I brake a bit then coast awhile then maybe dab the brakes again when the radius tightens up. Solstice in the other series was easier there, it scrubs enough to not need the second brake dab. Straighten the wheel before braking the second time.

Different Mazdas have different gearing which is a bigger difference than the view side changing.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  group44 Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:46 am

timneyb wrote:
I was wondering if I'd be better off in the right hand drive Mazda on clockwise tracks? Question

If the view is ok for ya Razz The gearbox is markedly different in the roadster. Have seen a few sporadically in my races, but never leading at LRP or Oky short fwiw.

Edit: Delayed shifts? I'll have to pay more attention.
group44
group44

Back to top Go down

Post  group44 Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:16 am

Got into my first Grand Touring race last night. Start grid mostly mx-5ers with a total of 22 for the green Cool Other than a total brain fade braking off the back straight early on, stayed incident free the rest of the race. Gotta aplogize John, horrible place for me to be sitting as you guys went by. Was shaking my own head on that one.
Had a great time working my way back up from my off track. With the help of two hopelessly defensive drivers (read contact Rolling Eyes ), ended up working my way back in to second in class. Think I'll be trying this one again tonight.
group44
group44

Back to top Go down

Post  vkaifh Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:41 am

6th race and 1st win cheers

Kinda came to me w/o me doing a lot. Started 8th out of 9 and finally survived the carnage in front of me in turn 1 and 2. Finished 1st lap in 3rd and was then able to pass for 2nd 10s behind the leader. All of a sudden I was right behind the leader who cleary suffered from self-inflicted injuries. I followed him around until he finally left for the pits.
From then I just played safe and watched how my lead got bigger and bigger. Finished with 0 incidents, 17 leading laps and 30s lead to 2nd. cheers
vkaifh
vkaifh

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:45 am

vkaifh wrote:6th race and 1st win cheers

Kinda came to me w/o me doing a lot. Started 8th out of 9 and finally survived the carnage in front of me in turn 1 and 2. Finished 1st lap in 3rd and was then able to pass for 2nd 10s behind the leader. All of a sudden I was right behind the leader who cleary suffered from self-inflicted injuries. I followed him around until he finally left for the pits.
From then I just played safe and watched how my lead got bigger and bigger. Finished with 0 incidents, 17 leading laps and 30s lead to 2nd. cheers

Noice. Nice big SR bump even without the +.40 for getting past 3.0.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  group44 Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:51 am

vkaifh wrote:6th race and 1st win cheers

Congrats vk! I'll look for you name up in lights on the ticker tonight Cool
group44
group44

Back to top Go down

Post  SpecMiata-JSW Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:20 pm

group44 wrote:Got into my first Grand Touring race last night. Start grid mostly mx-5ers with a total of 22 for the green Cool Other than a total brain fade braking off the back straight early on, stayed incident free the rest of the race. Gotta aplogize John, horrible place for me to be sitting as you guys went by. Was shaking my own head on that one.
Had a great time working my way back up from my off track. With the help of two hopelessly defensive drivers (read contact Rolling Eyes ), ended up working my way back in to second in class. Think I'll be trying this one again tonight.

I had a fun race last night too, and don’t
worry G44, you weren’t in my way at all.

Remember during practice when I mentioned how I
was going to jinx myself by making my ludicrous statement? Well….it worked. I
was trying to hit 5 consecutive races that were incident free; I already had 4
in the bag and needed only 1 more to get my “level 2 safe driver award”. My
thoughts were I can hop on a race in the Grand Touring Cup in the Jetta, try
for pole then dust the MX-5’s and Solstices, stay out of trouble, stay on the
track and profit. Not the case. I spoke to soon.

I ended up with the pole by well over a second
over my next fastest competitor (good!), the issue was the Jetta is a bizarre
car to start with from a dead stop due to the DSG transmission. You don’t use
the clutch, but you keep the car in gear and just mash the pedal when the
lights go green. Not being used to this I didn’t have a good start and 2nd
place got a nice jump on me going into turn 1 (bad). I figured I’d give this
gentleman “ample” room since I can’t see him (nor hear him – the Jetta’s are almost
silent), and I went very tight on the inside of turn 1…unfortunately I sent too
tight over the yellow line (Mid Ohio) pit exit and got black flagged for a course
cutting penalty, even though I didn’t get a 1X. Strange.

A Black Flag not even 20 seconds into the race
isn’t a good thing…that really got into my head. I wasn’t sure how slow to go
to clear the flag, so I kept slowing down until it finally cleared in the
middle of the back straight. At this point I stayed far enough out of trouble
not to get hit by anyone…Sweet, I’m back in the game. At this point I’m 14th
or 15th overall so I’m not concerned about iRating, just incidents
and somehow I made it through all this madness by not getting tagged by a red
misted Solstice or MX-5 driver.

I start making my way back through the pack
(very cautiously) and by lap 4 I’m pretty well clear of the goons, I’m even
announcing to each driver “I’m giving you room and I’m coming on your inside”
being more “gentlemanly” than I’ve ever been on track. Then during lap 4 on the
back straight I get passed this guy, we brake into turn 4, everything is fine,
then we begin to crest the hill on turn 5 and he hits me for no reason. 4X. ->
then another 1X for pushing me off track. Seriously, why? I was so pissed. It
was so unnecessary.

Since I blew the award, I just put my head down
and focused on catching the leader. Lap 5 he was 26 seconds ahead and 2nd
place was 18 seconds up on me, I laid down the law and made my way back to 2nd
overall and 11 seconds down from the lead.

Moral of the story? Don’t blow the race on the
first turn and you’ll have an easy win and a sweet award.

PS: I still had fun though. Cool

PPS: Nice win VK, congrats!!
SpecMiata-JSW
SpecMiata-JSW

Back to top Go down

Post  SpecMiata-JSW Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:22 pm

^ Why is my post so ugly? alien

I copied it from a word doc, that may be part of it.
SpecMiata-JSW
SpecMiata-JSW

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:59 pm

SpecMiata-JSW wrote:^ Why is my post so ugly? alien

I copied it from a word doc, that may be part of it.

lol, I was gonna say 'nice phone post'. When copying from Word, click off 'word wrap' before copying.

I did one Mid-Ohio GT (MX5/Slowstice/Jetta) race in the Slowstice. Jetta peeps be crazy. That is all.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:36 pm

I've been lazy shifting but will be learning to at least blip soon. I kept the learning curve down a bit and I'm getting to a point where I find my confidence in the car and where I'm going a lot sooner. Still learning tracks.

'grats on the win VK. Feels good, man.

I do like the Grand Touring Cup and Grand Am series, and I've long been a vocal oppenent of multi-class racing. That's not to say that my opinion of multi-class racing has changed a whole lot, it's just that while I'm still learning I've found that the slower cars in those events are lightly contested. In those races I'm not constantly racing for position and I've been more consistent, resulting in less incidents. Being a rolling road block is challenging. It's not fun and is quite taxing on the more complex courses. Sure Daytona Road is a snap even with DP's flying around, but MRLS or Sears Point, with the crests and the corners and the elevation what-cha-ma-call-it make for some stressful times and a lot of time spent looking the mirror.

The Grand Touring Cup (which contains a grand total of 0 GT cars, wtf?) is interesting because thought the Slowstice is the slowest car, you will be faster than half of the MX-5s if your capable of decent lap times. You're faster on straights, but lose out under braking and through mid-corner. Jettas might come around to lap you more than once if the track is short or you have trouble. There aren't usually many Pontiacs, so like I said, you can just run your race and play it cool. It's funny when you finish first in your class and say 15th in the race, which is a win, and your spotter gives you the poor finish responses.

Ok, so I lied, it's fun.

Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:18 am

Forgetful wrote:Ok, so I lied, it's fun.

This, is how I feel every time I start talking about Oval racing... Embarassed Laughing
HWKII
HWKII

http://www.driversports.org

Back to top Go down

Post  vkaifh Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:37 am

and another win cheers

I better don't get used to it, because this will only happen in low splits on Rookie level Very Happy

I'm starting to think anyway that I should do more test sessions instead of races, only in test sessions I'll find speed to improve my lap times. It's just so much fun to race (and win drunken )
vkaifh
vkaifh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18 ... 22  Next