DriverSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 14 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 pm by Forgetful

» DriverSports as a Race Team
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 14 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 2:56 pm by Rooster722

» DriverSports Rule Book - GT6
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 14 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 12:38 am by Forgetful

» The DriverSports Championship Series
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 14 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 pm by Forgetful

» The DriverSports World Series
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 14 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 3:21 pm by Forgetful

» Welcome to DriveSports.org
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 14 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 2:37 pm by Forgetful

» The Global Production Car Challenge
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 14 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 8:22 pm by Forgetful

» Moved to Alberta, took a new job
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 14 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 8:52 am by Forgetful

» Sportscars 2014 general
The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 14 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 8:38 pm by group44

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."

+7
group44
RackAttack
timneyb
clacksman
SpecMiata-JSW
Forgetful
HWKII
11 posters

Page 14 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next

Go down

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 14 Empty Re: The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."

Post  Forgetful Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:50 pm

Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 14 Empty Re: The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."

Post  Forgetful Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:24 pm

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 14 Ku-medium
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:12 am

lold

Also;
Elvis Festival weekend before last - town full of idorts
Wakestock this weekend - town empty

Neutral
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:17 pm

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 14 HxRHANRg8DQ-1
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:44 am

Parking lot trials completed for the evening, clutch is not on fire. Feeding throttle in to get going confounds me, but was able to get it going with just the clutch in both forward and reverse. Even managed to get between them a few times without too much drama. Rowing up and down through the gears, spent a lot of time getting up to 3rd (4th once...) and then back down to 1st or 2nd to make corners.

Gooooooood, gooooooooooooooood... Everything is going according to plan. Twisted Evil

Hills... those are gonna be a bitch.

One of the brake cooling ducts (I ... think. Intake next to where the fog lamps are in the chin) came loose because it was only attached by one fastener pin. Getting that corrected. Needs some work on the wiring in the doors, and I need to figure out why the passenger side door closes strangely with the roof up.
HWKII
HWKII

http://www.driversports.org

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:07 am

HWKII wrote:Parking lot trials completed for the evening, clutch is not on fire. Feeding throttle in to get going confounds me, but was able to get it going with just the clutch in both forward and reverse. Even managed to get between them a few times without too much drama. Rowing up and down through the gears, spent a lot of time getting up to 3rd (4th once...) and then back down to 1st or 2nd to make corners.

Gooooooood, gooooooooooooooood... Everything is going according to plan. Twisted Evil

Hills... those are gonna be a bitch.

One of the brake cooling ducts (I ... think. Intake next to where the fog lamps are in the chin) came loose because it was only attached by one fastener pin. Getting that corrected. Needs some work on the wiring in the doors, and I need to figure out why the passenger side door closes strangely with the roof up.
Getting going with just clutch means you're not far off - most people can't do that first.  Maybe try holding it at 1500rpm and then using just clutch to smarten up your right foot a bit.  Or, use just your right foot on the throttle to *smoothly* control speed in a parking lot (5-20 mph or so for range). 

Who's correcting the plastic trim?  If it's the seller doing so for free, good, otherwise if it's not you adding screw(s) you won't progress to being a wrencher like you said you wanted to be.  Cool
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:29 am

Like the clacksman says, if you can get her going with just the clutch you've got the hard part down. Just remember that adding throttle will help to overcome stalling and/or allow you to fully engage a little sooner.

When do we start heel-toeing?
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:54 am

Forgetful wrote:
When do we start heel-toeing doing burnouts?
 Fixd
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:05 am

http://www.fuelmybuild.com/

Will you pay for my car parts? Laughing
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:19 am

The car's all mine, so the work on her is all going to be done by me and my Dad. Getting going without the throttle seemed easier, or maybe I am just too tentative with the throttle. Still wrapping my mind around the trade off. Once it's up to speed I got pretty good about making my way up and down through the gears, but from a standing start was a challenge with throttle.

Heel-Toe was responsible for saving the front bumper from a curb I was too close to, pointing downhill at when I had to reverse out of the parking space (once stalling was overcome, the night become one of my Dad standing in a parking lot, working on emails from the office on his phone, while inventing challenges for me to accomplish Laughing). So, it... has begun? I am not good at it, but still, big feet, small pedals... not too bad.

Forgetful, Re: Fuelmybuild.com what... in the actual Bleep! are people thinking?
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:51 pm

HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:53 pm

HWKII wrote:The car's all mine, so the work on her is all going to be done by me and my Dad. Getting going without the throttle seemed easier, or maybe I am just too tentative with the throttle. Still wrapping my mind around the trade off. Once it's up to speed I got pretty good about making my way up and down through the gears, but from a standing start was a challenge with throttle.

Heel-Toe was responsible for saving the front bumper from a curb I was too close to, pointing downhill at when I had to reverse out of the parking space (once stalling was overcome, the night become one of my Dad standing in a parking lot, working on emails from the office on his phone, while inventing challenges for me to accomplish Laughing). So, it... has begun? I am not good at it, but still, big feet, small pedals... not too bad.
Practice finding the bite point and you should be able to hold the car on a slight slope without the brakes. Then it's just a touch more throttle as you bite harder in to the clutch. Sound and slight vibrations are your best indicators.

FYI, and I'm sure you know this, but real heel-toeing takes place under braking. Rather than using the clutch to bring the engine up to the speed of the gear, you blip the throttle with your heel (while your toe is still braking) so that the gear and engine mesh easily.

Forgetful, Re: Fuelmybuild.com what... in the actual Bleep! are people thinking?
They're thinking... "will you pay for my car parts?"  I'm pretty sure kickstarter works because there's either a benefit to society or a ROI, or both. Rolling Eyes
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:25 pm

Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:57 pm

clacksman wrote:
Getting going with just clutch means you're not far off - most people can't do that first.  Maybe try holding it at 1500rpm and then using just clutch to smarten up your right foot a bit. 
Smartening up your feet will make it come together with practice. I just came back from driving to Maine, taking our Impreza to what was apparently it's spiritual home. My right shin muscle started to cramp at one point, forcing me to use my left foot for braking for a little bit, and I was amazed and amused at what a useless piece of wood it was for feeling when the brakes would bite. I guess that's a bit like not having a lot of practice with the feel of the pedals.

timneyb

http://www.gtdata.net

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:08 pm

Forgetful wrote:Practice finding the bite point and you should be able to hold the car on a slight slope without the brakes. Then it's just a touch more throttle as you bite harder in to the clutch. Sound and slight vibrations are your best indicators.

FYI, and I'm sure you know this, but real heel-toeing takes place under braking. Rather than using the clutch to bring the engine up to the speed of the gear, you blip the throttle with your heel (while your toe is still braking) so that the gear and engine mesh easily.

They're thinking... "will you pay for my car parts?"  I'm pretty sure kickstarter works because there's either a benefit to society or a ROI, or both. Rolling Eyes
Good tips.

Somehow had that backwards in my head, thanks!

And for the fuelmybuild website, it was just funny to me how many cars I saw listed there with $0 pledged... Sleep
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  group44 Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:53 am

I'd check out those hinge pins on your funky door issue.  Had to do that one on my Blazer to prevent a seemingly unstoppable dribble of water from coming in.  Also, does you ride have the parking brake lever?  If so, once you get proficient with the feet, it can do wonders for steep hill starts to hold you until the clutch starts to bite.
group44
group44

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:12 am

HWKII wrote:The car's all mine, so the work on her is all going to be done by me and my Dad. Getting going without the throttle seemed easier, or maybe I am just too tentative with the throttle. Still wrapping my mind around the trade off. Once it's up to speed I got pretty good about making my way up and down through the gears, but from a standing start was a challenge with throttle.

I never thought of it as a tradeoff.  You need 0 throttle to idle, and (insert whatever %, lets say 25) to accelerate normally.  So, put on a tiny dab of throttle (just speeding the engine up to about fast idle speed), let the clutch off until you start to move, and from then add throttle gently toward the previously-noted-25% as you get your foot entirely off the clutch.

timneyb wrote:
clacksman wrote:
Getting going with just clutch means you're not far off - most people can't do that first.  Maybe try holding it at 1500rpm and then using just clutch to smarten up your right foot a bit. 
Smartening up your feet will make it come together with practice. I just came back from driving to Maine, taking our Impreza to what was apparently it's spiritual home. My right shin muscle started to cramp at one point, forcing me to use my left foot for braking for a little bit, and I was amazed and amused at what a useless piece of wood it was for feeling when the brakes would bite. I guess that's a bit like not having a lot of practice with the feel of the pedals.
Heh, left-foot braking (in an automatic car) was easy for me to learn - an early POS needed a bit of throttle to keep idling when cold.

group44 wrote:  Also, does you ride have the parking brake lever?  If so, once you get proficient with the feet, it can do wonders for steep hill starts to hold you until the clutch starts to bite.
Yeah the handbrake is how you really hill hold - using the clutch to do so heats it and eats it.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:21 am

timneyb wrote:
clacksman wrote:
 Ha! This is how it feels when I try and brake with my right foot in iRacing... Laughing There's a little bit more feedback in a real car, but in general, my right foot is getting used to pushing pedals with a very different feel to the ones they're used to working on!

It does have a hand brake, so yeah, that's step 2. I'll do a bit more parking lot practice to get better with starts and stops. Starting takes a lot more concentration than I think it should before I start worrying about traffic...
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  RackAttack Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:39 pm

New GTAV goodness: http://www.rockstargames.com/V/

Check out the political ads!  And the shiny spinning cars! And everything else!
RackAttack
RackAttack

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:08 am

RackAttack wrote:New GTAV goodness: http://www.rockstargames.com/V/

Check out the political ads!  And the shiny spinning cars! And everything else!
 Holy crap, that wasn't there Monday.

Also; online demo video this Thursday bounce
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:03 pm

The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..." - Page 14 Ku-xlarge
HAY GIZE, I PAINTED MA CAR!
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:15 am

clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:33 am

I've been avoiding the GTA info since June, but I'm afraid that if I keep that up I'll be so far out of the loop that I'll just flat out miss all kinds of cool stuff.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:43 am

Forgetful wrote:I've been avoiding the GTA info since June, 
's why I post the plain link pirat

edit for spoiler of the text on the video header:

Spoiler:
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:01 am

Saul Good. I just watched the online and gameplay vids. I am really looking forward to that online.
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next