DriverSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."
Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 pm by Forgetful

» DriverSports as a Race Team
Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 2:56 pm by Rooster722

» DriverSports Rule Book - GT6
Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 12:38 am by Forgetful

» The DriverSports Championship Series
Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 pm by Forgetful

» The DriverSports World Series
Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 3:21 pm by Forgetful

» Welcome to DriveSports.org
Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 2:37 pm by Forgetful

» The Global Production Car Challenge
Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 8:22 pm by Forgetful

» Moved to Alberta, took a new job
Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 8:52 am by Forgetful

» Sportscars 2014 general
Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 8:38 pm by group44

Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread

+4
timneyb
robiker
Forgetful
HWKII
8 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread

Post  Forgetful Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:59 pm

I rooted against JV when he was winning in F1. Now I just chuckle when I see him qualified in the 30s of a Nationwide street race or the odd Aussie V8 drive.

Kimi might be the best thing to happen to F1, ever. I've been telling people to "leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" all week, but they don't watch F1 so they just think I'm a jerk now. :O
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread

Post  Forgetful Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:13 pm

Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  RackAttack Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:49 pm

Great to see Hobbs and Matchett are going to stay on, and I think I like Diffey more than Varsha as well. Bob has really been stumbling on his words/mispeaking a lot recently, at least enough to where I notice it multiple times every race.
RackAttack
RackAttack

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:11 pm

HWKII wrote:Also, dat sig quote... Kimi is rapidly becoming a favorite of mine. Every time I see an interview with him, I think... if Clacksman had been an F1 driver... Shocked

lol
Apparently there's t-shirts bearing it circulating around F1.

Forgetful wrote:I rooted against JV when he was winning in F1. Now I just chuckle when I see him qualified in the 30s of a Nationwide street race or the odd Aussie V8 drive.

Kimi might be the best thing to happen to F1, ever. I've been telling people to "leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" all week, but they don't watch F1 so they just think I'm a jerk now. :O

Jerk then, jerk now. What a Face

JV almost won the Nationwide races at both Eel Know-treh dayum and Road America last year. [hijack] No NNS at Montreal in '13, but they replaced it with Mid-Ohio. Not sure if modern Mid-O curbs will keep a 3300-pounder on the tarmac or just jack them up into bicycle status. [/hijack]

RackAttack wrote:

Great to see Hobbs and Matchett are going to stay on, and I think I like Diffey more than Varsha as well. Bob has really been stumbling on his words/mispeaking a lot recently, at least enough to where I notice it multiple times every race.

Matchett = Kickass indeed
Hobbs is in Varsha/Jenkins tier of screwing up multiple times per race.
Diffey = Not kickass
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:18 pm

I think Hobbs though is at least entertaining while screwing up.

timneyb

http://www.gtdata.net

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:33 pm

timneyb wrote:I think Hobbs though is at least entertaining while screwing up.

Agreed.

Also Diffey is doing Indycar next year as well (Bob Jenkins has retired).
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:17 pm

L O L

Ferrari, for no valid technical reason, changed the gearbox on Massa's car this morning, thereby giving him a 5 place grid penalty and advancing Alonso up a spot on the grid and on to the clean side... Felipe out qualified his teammate, despite Alonso (and a throng of delusional Tifosi) believing that he outperformed the car, or in Alonso speak "We got'a'ta'maxeemom" What a Face

In the spirit of all things 'Gate' these days, what shall we call this? GearboxGate just doesn't seem good enough...

There is actually speculation that Red Bull might 'accidentally' drop Webber's gearbox just to move Alonso up again but on to the dirty side of the track. Personally I hope that they interview Christian Horner and he just uncontrollably laughs at Ferrari for the entire 30 seconds he's on camera.

HWKII
HWKII

http://www.driversports.org

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:36 am

Always fun when rules get misused.

"oops damnit I broke the gearbox seal"
"oh damn we're on the clean side now"
"well that's a shame"
"indeed"

*grins all around*
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:24 pm

clacksman wrote:Always fun when rules get misused.

"oops damnit I broke the gearbox seal"
"oh damn we're on the clean side now"
"well that's a shame"
"indeed"

*grins all around*

Whitmarsh had a good point to make too - this wasn't just going to impact Ferrari, everyone behind Massa got reshuffled too. As Whitmarsh said, if Button or Hamilton had been shuffled clear by Ferrari doing this, he'd have been none to pleased.

With a lot of pundits talking about how this impacts Massa's state of mind... Am I the only one who wouldn't be grinning ear to ear every time he has to make a concession to Alonso? If the Ferrari really is still as inferior today as the Tifosi claim (and it's just not, but lets pretend), is there a team out there who wouldn't want to pay Massa a boatload of money to come drive for them in the future? He's clearly got pace, he's clearly willing to put the team first, and every time he has to sacrifice his position to Alonso it reminds the world that "the best driver on the grid" can't do his own dirty work unless he complies. If I were Massa, I'd go home every night with the world's biggest shit eating grin.

Felipe Baby may just be my driver of the year...
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:16 am

HWKII wrote:Massa... Am I the only one who wouldn't be grinning ear to ear every time he has to make a concession to Alonso? If the Ferrari really is still as inferior today as the Tifosi claim (and it's just not, but lets pretend), is there a team out there who wouldn't want to pay Massa a boatload of money to come drive for them in the future? He's clearly got pace, he's clearly willing to put the team first, and every time he has to sacrifice his position to Alonso it reminds the world that "the best driver on the grid" can't do his own dirty work unless he complies. If I were Massa, I'd go home every night with the world's biggest shit eating grin.

Maybe, but two things: 1) now he's got this years Webber/Irvine/Barrichello spot of "Nice enough driver but too bad he's slower than (insert teammate)", and 2) what team even has the combination of a seat and the boatload of money to pay him?

Besides, it's the second-best silly season thing. I like the Vettel to Ferrari rumour so much better that - uh, oh wait there's the team who might just want Massa (logic: need someone faster than Webber) and has the boatload of money ...
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:44 pm

clacksman wrote:
HWKII wrote:Massa... Am I the only one who wouldn't be grinning ear to ear every time he has to make a concession to Alonso? If the Ferrari really is still as inferior today as the Tifosi claim (and it's just not, but lets pretend), is there a team out there who wouldn't want to pay Massa a boatload of money to come drive for them in the future? He's clearly got pace, he's clearly willing to put the team first, and every time he has to sacrifice his position to Alonso it reminds the world that "the best driver on the grid" can't do his own dirty work unless he complies. If I were Massa, I'd go home every night with the world's biggest shit eating grin.

Maybe, but two things: 1) now he's got this years Webber/Irvine/Barrichello spot of "Nice enough driver but too bad he's slower than (insert teammate)", and 2) what team even has the combination of a seat and the boatload of money to pay him?

Besides, it's the second-best silly season thing. I like the Vettel to Ferrari rumour so much better that - uh, oh wait there's the team who might just want Massa (logic: need someone faster than Webber) and has the boatload of money ...

Right!?

Massa to Red Bull would be great! First of all, Rob Smedley should go with him, and we'd have the two best radio personalities, as far as race engineers go, on the same team (Rocky being the other). Mark Webber is so consistently inconsistent and petulent about being so in a way that is just.. so darling. Webber is also a fantastic interview, and probably a cool guy to drink 40 beehs (Australian for Beehhhh) with at a Cricket game, his sense of ... I don't even know what, entitelment? Is overwhelming sometimes. Impressive considering how long he's been middling.

Vettel to Ferrari is an interesting rumor, but it seems largely based on a sort of old school mentality that I just don't think that Vettel has. Vettel strikes me as the kind of driver who'd rather go out every week in the fastest car, sprint away from the field, shatter records and, in the vernacular of his generation, pwn noobs. The 'challenge' of driving for Ferrari, or another non-competitive team, I don't think, is something that fits him.

For that matter, I think that LH staking that claim is all nonsense. I think Mercedes gives him an opportunity to grow his brand. Full stop.
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:18 am

HWKII wrote:Vettel to Ferrari is an interesting rumor, but it seems largely based on a sort of old school mentality that I just don't think that Vettel has. Vettel strikes me as the kind of driver who'd rather go out every week in the fastest car, sprint away from the field, shatter records and, in the vernacular of his generation, pwn noobs. The 'challenge' of driving for Ferrari, or another non-competitive team, I don't think, is something that fits him.

For that matter, I think that LH staking that claim is all nonsense. I think Mercedes gives him an opportunity to grow his brand. Full stop.

I think it's not really an old school mentality needed, it's a "well I won twice (or three times shortly) in random car X which has been great, if I do that at Ferrari I'll be damn near immortal". This years Ferrari isn't that bad, and with Vettel it won't likely slow down.

Agreed about Lewis to Honda Brawn Mercedes. With Michael outgoing they need a big name, which Keke Nico just doesn't have ... yet. I don't underestimate Ross Brawns ability to upgrade the speed of that thing by next spring without the baggage of Schumi, but there's a few teams in front of it week in and week out this year so barring miracles we'll basically see what Lewis can do from the midfield.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:33 pm

Nico is ... probably amongst my least favorite drivers on the grid. Did a decent job against Elder Schumi but his attitude sucks and his driving has not really ever appeared to be that impressive. 3rd 2nd at Monaco was pretty impressive, but his win in China was during the "SPIN THE WHEEEEL OF FOOOOOOORTUNE" period of the 2012 season which saw Pastor effing Maldanado win a race for Williams... Evil or Very Mad Mad duh! Bleep!
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:24 pm

HRT closing it's doors, staff has been laid off. Who wants to buy an F1 team? Cool
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:14 am

HWKII wrote:HRT closing it's doors, staff has been laid off. Who wants to buy an F1 team? Cool

Let's see, I have ... *checks couch* ... $.31 Canadian and $.02 US. How many percents does that buy me? Are they making Brazil or not?
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:20 pm

clacksman wrote:
HWKII wrote:HRT closing it's doors, staff has been laid off. Who wants to buy an F1 team? Cool

Let's see, I have ... *checks couch* ... $.31 Canadian and $.02 US. How many percents does that buy me? Are they making Brazil or not?

HRT will be in Brazil but they are down to the minimum crew required to run the team for this race, with everyone else being let go during the off season.

I am pretty sure that for $1.50 we could buy a Coke and HRT...
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:46 am

HWKII wrote:I am pretty sure that for $1.50 we could buy a Coke and HRT...

Which seems like a deal until you figure the ongoing costs just to keep it from black-holing (never minding producing a new car for next year) are about three limbs and an organ per hour. If only I owned some sort of multibillion dollar global entity of some sort.

Also Brazil is on like now and not next weekend.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:02 pm

clacksman wrote:Also Brazil is on like now and not next weekend.

I know! I have the Force too you know... Laughing

Also:

Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 5 439x
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:10 pm

From the Thursday Press Conference:

"Felipe, what can you do to help Alonso win the Championship this weekend?"
"Well, I try to win the 3rd time. This is the right way to approach the weekend, is always try for the Victory. Here is a very special place to me and I am going to try and win, and hopefully Alonso can finish 2nd with no problems and also win the Championship."

Awful fighty from the Brazilian! Wink
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:41 pm

https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/272848844931334144/photo/1 <--- Probably the most touching image of the 2012 F1 Season. I am not a big Fernando or Ferrari fan, but after this season maybe more a Fernando fan and less a Ferrari fan than before. He really did drive the nuts off that car in the early season and he demonstrated that he is one of the best race drivers in the sport. Was great to see Massa return to form as well.
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:52 pm

That was a pretty crazy race. It's better to be lucky than good. If you're lucky and good, you can be a three time consecutive World Champion.

Also,
Forgetful
Forgetful

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:18 am

HWKII wrote:
clacksman wrote:Also Brazil is on like now and not next weekend.

I know! I have the Force too you know... Laughing

Can you give Speed the force? They've been showing a black screen since Thursday night.

HWKII wrote:Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 5 439x

lolololol

Rain : always good
Vettel's car surviving a double-knock on lap 1 : holy crap
Brazilian TV direction general : derp (remember the one year they had the tint so far off that the Ferraris were purple?)
Nico in the Force India general : wat
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Just watched the BBC coverage for the Brazilian Grand Prix and I remembered why I loved their coverage so much more than Sky... The BBC has class to it that the Sky coverage just doesn't. If not for David Croft and Martin Brundle, the Sky coverage would be downright unwatchable for all it's cheap, plastic, Cable News feel to it.

According to the end of the race coverage, the full 2013 season is back on BBC next year, though sadly without Jake Humphery who I think adds a great deal from the perspective of a fan, like myself, who cherishes the feel of the sport as much as the analysis.

Also: Holy shit what an amazing race, how good is Interlagos? iRacing needs to hurry up with that track, and also weather. Shut up and take my money!
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:44 am

Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 5 Merc-schu-helmet-inte-2012

Really liked this message on Schumacher's helmet. Original Schumi may have been one of the greatest that any sport has ever seen, but Old Man Schumi actually kind of makes you miss him now that he's gone...

Many many late night chats between Forgetful and I back 'in the day' about Schumi, good times. Hope he makes a return in a non-driving capacity.
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:03 pm

HWKII wrote:how good is Interlagos?

Very. Speedhunters has a great set of pics from there.

HWKII wrote: Schumi. Hope he makes a return in a non-driving capacity.

I hope someone talks him into driving in the WEC.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next