DriverSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The Official Non Sequitur Thread, "And now for something COMPLETELY different..."
Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 pm by Forgetful

» DriverSports as a Race Team
Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 2:56 pm by Rooster722

» DriverSports Rule Book - GT6
Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 12:38 am by Forgetful

» The DriverSports Championship Series
Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 pm by Forgetful

» The DriverSports World Series
Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 3:21 pm by Forgetful

» Welcome to DriveSports.org
Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 2:37 pm by Forgetful

» The Global Production Car Challenge
Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 8:22 pm by Forgetful

» Moved to Alberta, took a new job
Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 8:52 am by Forgetful

» Sportscars 2014 general
Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 8:38 pm by group44

Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread

+4
timneyb
robiker
Forgetful
HWKII
8 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread

Post  HWKII Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:59 pm

clacksman wrote:
HWKII wrote:Lewis Hamilton tweeted an instagram pic of his telemetry data ... wat? crazy

Flat through Eau Rouge proof?

I hadn't watched much F1 for a couple years and hardly any this year. That start crash was fantastic.

Downloading now, read about the results this morning and was like "WTF!?".

In only slightly related news:
I. Hate. Pastor. Maldanado.

Seriously.

Hate.

#GiveRubensHis20thSeason

duh!
HWKII
HWKII

http://www.driversports.org

Back to top Go down

Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Formula 1 - 2012 - The Official Discussion Thread

Post  HWKII Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Best part of the Belgian Grand Prix, from the team radio:

Race Engineer: "Kimi, we are currently under threat from Michael behind..."
Kimi: "I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!"

It's in the official F1 race edit, brilliant! Laughing
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:34 pm

Thoughts from Singapore: McLaren, on the radio to Lewis, apologized. "We did all we could yesterday, Lewis." and what followed was a lot of questions from BBC and Sky about what his engineer meant. McLaren did their damndest to basically pretend that they never suggested there was a problem.

Then Martin Whitmarsh on Sky, "As you know, Lewis did hit the wall yesterday... but that was very light, I doubt that had anything to do with it." Ok, Martin, so why did you bring it up? The only reason I can think of for bringing that up is to remind the world that this was not something Lewis should be upset at them about. While that seems like a plausible reason why things might have gone sideways for them in the race, that's an awfully public face on what should be a private battle. Payback for Twittergate? Just a childish way to go about things.

I sort of get why Lewis would want out of McLaren. He may idolize Aryton Senna, but he seems prepped to follow in the footsteps of his greatest rival - Alain Prost. With rumors linking Lewis to Mercedes in 2013, the parallels have been pretty hard for me to ignore:

McLaren is a team first team, Lewis had his way of things for a few years with Kovaleinen, but it's pretty clear that he can't coexist with a teammate who is going to push him too hard. Jenson Button seems to really love racing, loves that McLaren is giving him an equal shot at winning races ever since he joined, and is generally going about his business. With engine regulations changing in 2014, going to an engine manufacturer who have demonstrated a clear ability to innovate, who are going in to their 4th year with big capital improvements coming... I am foreseeing levels of outrage from McLaren fans that would rival LeBron James' "The Decision"... popcorn

Mind you, I'm not a LH fan, and I do so wish that Calvins was here to participate Cool but if I were him, leaving McLaren is probably the right choice.

Edit: Ok, those thoughts had mostly nothing to do with the Singapore race... Heck of a drive by Paul di Resta! There we go, that's 2 thoughts about Singapore (plural!)
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:47 pm

I understand Lewis' frustrations with McLaren's screw ups the first half of the year. But, I think if he goes to Mercedes, he's got to get really lucky with them getting their stuff together in time to match his move. Otherwise, he'd be lucky to be Alain Prost (my favourite driver, for the record). He needs Mercedes to be much faster than they are right now, and that will take a gamble if you just go on past achievements as a guide. Looking forward to the potential change to 4 cyl turbos, being with a top end engine manufacturer would seem a good idea, but that's questionable and further ahead than I imagine Lewis is looking.

They've sure done better in the past few years than Honda or Toyota or BMW did when they tried their hand with F1, but the difference between them and Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren has been more than just an absolute top-flight driver.

timneyb

http://www.gtdata.net

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:27 pm

timneyb wrote:I understand Lewis' frustrations with McLaren's screw ups the first half of the year. But, I think if he goes to Mercedes, he's got to get really lucky with them getting their stuff together in time to match his move. Otherwise, he'd be lucky to be Alain Prost (my favourite driver, for the record). He needs Mercedes to be much faster than they are right now, and that will take a gamble if you just go on past achievements as a guide. Looking forward to the potential change to 4 cyl turbos, being with a top end engine manufacturer would seem a good idea, but that's questionable and further ahead than I imagine Lewis is looking.

They've sure done better in the past few years than Honda or Toyota or BMW did when they tried their hand with F1, but the difference between them and Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren has been more than just an absolute top-flight driver.

I think that if anything, Mercedes will build a team around him (with no Schumacher, lololololol Nico Rosberg...), the way that Ferrari is built around Alonso right now, and arguably, Red Bull is with Vettel. I think Lewis thinks that's what he needs in order to win Drivers Championships, and he may be right. I won't count out Ross Brawn and his wily team of engineers out just yet for a fast car in 2013/2014, especially since the 2012 car seems more of a prototype. A move to Mercedes is not quite as insane as Martin Brundle and a few others have suggested, IMO.

Also, I do so enjoy Alain Prost.
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:11 pm

2013 Technical Regulations to eliminate stepped noses and Mercedes style 'Double DRS'.

Article 3.7.9 of the 2013 technical regulations refers to the new panels as “an optional, single piece, non-structural fairing of prescribed laminate (whose precise lay-up may be found in the Appendix to the regulations) which may not be more than 625mm above the reference plane at any point.”

According to Article 3.18, the moveable rear wing "cannot be used to change the geometry of any duct, either directly or indirectly, other than the change to the distance between adjacent sections permitted by Article 3.10.2."

The Lotus 'DRD' or Drag Reduction Device, the system which stalls the rear wing above a certain speed by, passively, no longer channeling air under the rear wing in conjunction with a steep rear-wing angle of attack, is still legal. Mercedes has another such device. I would expect Ferrari and Red Bull to have their own versions next year as well. The smaller teams all suffer from lack of ability to develop aerodynamics, so I would expect 2013 to be a return to business as usual as far as mid-field teams no longer being able to grab the odd podium/race win.

I am a bit confused by the 'non-structural' fairing that fits over the nose to make it look less ugly. That the FIA thinks it can't have an aerodynamic impact sounds like a challenge to me, and guaranteeed, Adrian Newey is thinking "Challenge accepted!". Laughing
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  RackAttack Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:22 pm

HWKII wrote:
I am a bit confused by the 'non-structural' fairing that fits over the nose to make it look less ugly. That the FIA thinks it can't have an aerodynamic impact sounds like a challenge to me, and guaranteeed, Adrian Newey is thinking "Challenge accepted!". Laughing

Does it say somewhere that they don't want it to have an aerodynamic effect?
RackAttack
RackAttack

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:35 pm

RackAttack wrote:
HWKII wrote:

The revised rules, just published by Formula One racing’s governing body, give details of the ‘modesty panels,’ which can be used to smooth the transition between the low nose and the high chassis. The fairings will not affect the car’s aerodynamics or impact-protection properties.

This is the report on the official F1 site, I am taking "...will not..." to mean "...are not to..."
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  RackAttack Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:36 pm

HWKII wrote:
RackAttack wrote:
HWKII wrote:

The revised rules, just published by Formula One racing’s governing body, give details of the ‘modesty panels,’ which can be used to smooth the transition between the low nose and the high chassis. The fairings will not affect the car’s aerodynamics or impact-protection properties.

This is the report on the official F1 site, I am taking "...will not..." to mean "...are not to..."

ha... It seems basically impossible that such a part wouldn't have an aerodynamic effect.
RackAttack
RackAttack

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:49 pm

RackAttack wrote:
HWKII wrote:
RackAttack wrote:
HWKII wrote:

ha... It seems basically impossible that such a part wouldn't have an aerodynamic effect.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking Rack... how can the cars leading edge not have an aerodynamic effect... That's why the teams wanted the high nose in the first place, aerodynamic benefit... Y U NO MAKE SENSE FIA!
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  RackAttack Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:51 am

HWKII wrote:
RackAttack wrote:
HWKII wrote:
RackAttack wrote:
HWKII wrote:

That's pretty much what I'm thinking Rack... how can the cars leading edge not have an aerodynamic effect... That's why the teams wanted the high nose in the first place, aerodynamic benefit... Y U NO MAKE SENSE FIA!

Well, they're basically giving the teams back the aerodynamic effect and sleek curves, while still accomplishing the original goal which was to lower the noses for safety. In a collision the little aero piece that makes the nose smooth will pop right off, and the part that can do damage will still be lower as was intended. That's why I was surprised when you said they posted somewhere that they didn't want teams to gain an aero advantage. I think it's a good change, just because we'll get rid of the stupid step look.
RackAttack
RackAttack

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:39 am

Hamilton to Mercedes in 2013 to partner with Nico Rosberg... Ho-lee-shit... Even if it made sense in my brain, I don't think I actually thought he'd leave McLaren. Veeeeeery interesting.

And Perez to McLaren! Shocked

Very Happy

Excellent!

New drive opens up at Sauber... Eeeeeeee, drama! What a Face

The Mercedes announcement of this does not sound like Michael was leaving, it just sounds like they took his seat for 2013 and gave it to Hamilton. Also veeeeeery interesting... So ends the 2nd Career of Herr Schumacher? Orrrrrrrrrrrr? bounce
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:45 am

I also think that this move makes total sense for McLaren - been reading a lot from F1 engineering blogs on something I touched on earlier in this thread about how it's important to have a car that fits your driver's style. Mark Webber for example being quicker in the RB8 in the early part of the season because he's more adept at tackling an oversteering car, while Vettel is better at extracting the maximum from a planted car. Perez and Button have very similar, smooth and easy styles which should allow McLaren to build a car that suits both drivers relatively equally, unlike the situation they have now where Button and Hamilton have totally different styles.

Mercedes has to be happy, but I doubt that Nico Rosberg will be. Goodbye defacto #1 driver spot, hello becoming Lewis' pet terrier.

Oh man, where is Calvins, I just want to podcast about this all day... Rolling Eyes What a Face
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:32 pm

I will now listen to Eddie Jordan as the voice of all that is true.

timneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:14 pm

timneyb wrote:I will now listen to Eddie Jordan as the voice of all that is true.

affraid
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:49 pm

This weekend F1 moves to Suzuka and I am pretty damn excited for this race:

Classic Racetrack, check.
Hilarious inter/inner team rivalries as a result of last week's driver changes, check.
Amazing choice of tires by Pirelli (Hard and Soft... WAAAAT?), Check.

Anyone want to bet the under on 'Number of wheel nuts that McLaren will forget to tighten on Lewis' car during the first pitstop' (1)? Laughing
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:02 pm

HWKII wrote:Hilarious inter/inner team rivalries as a result of last week's driver changes, check.
Anyone want to bet the under on 'Number of wheel nuts that McLaren will forget to tighten on Lewis' car during the first pitstop' (1)? Laughing

lol'd

Schumi re-retires apparently.
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-no-future-plans-yet-says-michael-schumacher/

clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:04 pm

clacksman wrote:
HWKII wrote:Hilarious inter/inner team rivalries as a result of last week's driver changes, check.

lol'd

Schumi re-retires apparently.
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-no-future-plans-yet-says-michael-schumacher/

Yeah, sad day. Maybe he'll return to Ferrari in a management capacity. That seems like a popular career choice amongst the fans around the F1 news sites I'm reading. I wish Mercedes had given him a competitive car this year, or at least a reliable one. The last of the old guard of F1 drivers are gone now, Button is probably the most senior driver now? scratch

Michael + Hamilton would have been more entertaining, but I doubt Lewis would have gone to Merc if that'd been the case. Nico Rosberg is going to be in for a shock if he thought racing with kinder-gentler in the team was tough! Wink
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:19 am

I am burning down the internet trying to find a live feed of this race... Watching the live timing and losing my mind! What a Face Laughing bounce

Spoiler:
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:35 am

I'm watching the repeat right now. L1 T1 looked like a Prologue race.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:17 pm

clacksman wrote:I'm watching the repeat right now. L1 T1 looked like a Prologue race.

A fitting legacy for Suzuka! Laughing

No, it's not been a good year for L1T1 incidents, kids today...
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  clacksman Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:07 pm

HWKII wrote:No, it's not been a good year for L1T1 incidents, kids today...

Grosjean ... Maldadoodoo ...

... yeah.
clacksman
clacksman

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:27 pm

clacksman wrote:
HWKII wrote:No, it's not been a good year for L1T1 incidents, kids today...

Grosjean ... Maldadoodoo ...

... yeah.

Webber was pretty pissed after the race at Grosjean. Rightfully so. Maldanado has kept his nose clean the last couple of races, but his bolting before the lights at Spa was priceless.

Good on Massa and Kobayashi though, really pleased to see those two get good results. Also, won't lie, very pleased to see Alonso wrecking out. The horseshoe he'd crammed up his ass has clearly disintegrated. 5 races, 4 point advantage over Vettel and a charging Redbull while the Prancing Horse is in retreat... Going to be a great finish to the year. I don't adore Red Bull Racing the way I do Williams or Lotus, but their technical genius is something I really enjoy watching.
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  HWKII Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:36 pm

How popular is the track in South Korea?

Sebastian Vettel wrote:The track is located on the western edge of the province of Yeongam, which is in the far south of the country. The circuit is demanding and the last section is very tight.”

He sounds positively delighted! ... lol!
HWKII
HWKII

Back to top Go down

Post  timneyb Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:14 pm

If F1 + NBC = Olympics + NBC, then Evil or Very Mad Neutral Bleep!

timneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next